International Configuration and Coordination Archetypes for Medium-Sized Firms in Global Industries
AbstractThe purpose of this study is to determine the basic configuration and coordination patterns for medium-sized firms competing in global industries. Analyzing 126 business competing in nine different global industries, five distinct archetypes are identified. The results suggest that selective globalization—in which the firm defines its global strategy around a narrow subset of the value chain—may lead to the most effective outcomes.© 1992 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1992) 23, 533–549
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 23 (1992)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luo, Yadong, 2000. "Dynamic capabilities in international expansion," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 355-378, January.
- Wu, Chih-Wen, 2011. "Global marketing strategy modeling of high tech products," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(11), pages 1229-1233.
- Heijltjes,Marielle & Witteloostuijn,Arjen, 1996. "Configurations of market environments, competitive strategies, manufacturing technologies and human resource management policies : a two-industry and two-country analysis of fit," Research Memorandum 005, Maastricht University, Netherlands Institute of Business Organization and Strategy Research (NIBOR).
- Yeniyurt, Sengun & Tamer Cavusgil, S. & Hult, G. Tomas M., 2005. "A global market advantage framework: the role of global market knowledge competencies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Luo, Yadong, 2001. "Equity sharing in international joint ventures: an empirical analysis of strategic and environmental determinants," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 31-58.
- Fisch, Jan Hendrik & Zschoche, Miriam, 2011. "Do firms benefit from multinationality through production shifting?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 143-149, June.
- Samiee, Saeed & Athanassiou, Nicholas, 1998. "International Strategy Research: Cross-Cultural Methodology Implications," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 79-96, October.
- Lin, Shao-Lung & Hsieh, An-Tien, 2010. "International strategy implementation: Roles of subsidiaries, operational capabilities, and procedural justice," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 52-59, January.
- Qian, Gongming & Li, Ji, 1998. "Multinationality, global market diversification, and risk performance for the largest U.S. firms," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 149-170, October.
- Yeniyurt, Sengun & Henke, John W. & Cavusgil, Erin, 2013. "Integrating global and local procurement for superior supplier working relations," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 351-362.
- Thomas, Douglas E., 2006. "International diversification and firm performance in Mexican firms: A curvilinear relationship?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 501-507, April.
- Zahra, Shaker A. & Garvis, Dennis M., 2000. "International corporate entrepreneurship and firm performance: The moderating effect of international environmental hostility," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 469-492.
- Grøgaard, Birgitte, 2012. "Alignment of strategy and structure in international firms: An empirical examination," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 397-407.
- Fahy, John, 2002. "A resource-based analysis of sustainable competitive advantage in a global environment," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 57-77, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.