The U-Curve Adjustment Hypothesis Revisited: A Review and Theoretical Framework
AbstractThe cross-cultural adjustment research literature has largely been conducted from an atheoretical perspective. When a theoretical framework is imposed, the U-Curve adjustment theory has been the one most commonly used. The lack of a comprehensive review of the empirical literature on the U-Curve adjustment theory has allowed scholars to accept or dismiss the theory on grounds other than that of empirical evidence. This paper reviews the empirical literature and proposes a theoretical framework and research agenda for future research on cross-cultural adjustment.© 1991 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1991) 22, 225–247
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 22 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Selmer, Jan, 2002. "The Chinese connection? Adjustment of Western vs. overseas Chinese expatriate managers in China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 41-50, January.
- Maertz Jr., Carl P. & Hassan, Ahmad & Magnusson, Peter, 2009. "When learning is not enough: A process model of expatriate adjustment as cultural cognitive dissonance reduction," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 66-78, January.
- Kim, Kwanghyun & Slocum Jr., John W., 2008. "Individual differences and expatriate assignment effectiveness: The case of U.S.-based Korean expatriates," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 109-126, January.
- Punnett, Betty Jane, 1997. "Towards effective management of expatriate spouses," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 243-257, October.
- Carlsson, Johan & Nordegren, Axel & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 2004.
"International Experience and the Performance of Scandinavian Firms in China,"
EIJS Working Paper Series
188, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Carlsson, Johan & Nordegren, Axel & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 2005. "International experience and the performance of Scandinavian firms in China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 21-40, February.
- Fariborz Damanpour & Carlos Devece & Chao Chen & Vijay Pothukuchi, 2012. "Organizational culture and partner interaction in the management of international joint ventures in India," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 453-478, June.
- Selmer, Jan, 1999. "Culture shock in China?: Adjustment pattern of western expatriate business managers," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(5-6), pages 515-534, October.
- Fee, Anthony & Gray, Sidney J., 2013. "Transformational learning experiences of international development volunteers in the Asia-Pacific: The case of a multinational NGO," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 196-208.
- Ferenc Farkas & Giora Avny, 2005. "Cross-Cultural Issues of International Joint Ventures: A Viewpoint from Israel," Proceedings-3rd International Conference on Management, Enterprise and Benchmarking (MEB 2005), Óbuda University, Keleti Faculty of Business and Management.
- Bossard, Annette B. & Peterson, Richard B., 2005. "The repatriate experience as seen by American expatriates," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 9-28, February.
- Lin, Feng-Jyh, 2010. "The determinants of foreign direct investment in China: The case of Taiwanese firms in the IT industry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(5), pages 479-485, May.
- Usunier, Jean-Claude, 1998. "Oral pleasure and expatriate satisfaction: an empirical approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 89-110, February.
- Arp, Frithjof, 2013.
"Typologies: What types of foreign executives are appointed by local organisations and what types of organisations appoint them?,"
Zeitschrift fuer Personalforschung. German Journal of Research in Human Resource Management,
Rainer Hampp Verlag, vol. 27(3), pages 167-194.
- Arp, Frithjof, 2013. "Typologies: What types of foreign executives are appointed by local organisations and what types of organisations appoint them?," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 167-194.
- Michailova, Snejina & Wilson, Heather I.M., 2008. "Small firm internationalization through experiential learning: The moderating role of socialization tactics," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 243-254, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.