The Determinants of Country Risk Ratings
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to replicate Euromoney's and Institutional Investor's country risk ratings on the basis of economic and political variables. The evidence reveals that country risk ratings respond to some of the variables suggested by the theory. In particular, both the level of per capita income and propensity to invest affect positively the rating of a country. In addition, high-ranking countries are less indebted than low-ranking countries. It also appears that the ability of the model to duplicate the two country risk measures is very similar and both magazines' ratings can be replicated to a significant degree with few available economic statistics.© 1991 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1991) 22, 135–142
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 22 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stephen Nelson, 2010. "Does compliance matter? Assessing the relationship between sovereign risk and compliance with international monetary law," The Review of International Organizations, Springer, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 107-139, June.
- Pan, Yigang & Li, Xiaolian, 1998. "Alliance of foreign firms in equity joint ventures in China," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 329-350, August.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R Harvey & Christian T Lundblad & Stephan Siegel, 2014.
"Political risk spreads,"
Journal of International Business Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(4), pages 471-493, May.
- Jiang, Marshall S. & Chu, Rongwei & Pan, Yigang, 2011. "Anticipated duration of international joint ventures: A transaction cost perspective," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 175-183, June.
- Axel Dreher & Stefan Voigt, 2008.
"Does Membership in International Organizations Increase Governments’ Credibility? Testing the Effects of Delegating Powers,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2285, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dreher, Axel & Voigt, Stefan, 2011. "Does membership in international organizations increase governments' credibility? Testing the effects of delegating powers," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 326-348, September.
- Axel Dreher & Stefan Voigt, 2008. "Does Membership in International Organizations Increase Governments’ Credibility? Testing the Effects of Delegating Powers," MAGKS Papers on Economics, Philipps-UniversitÃ¤t Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung) 200819, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Axel Dreher & Stefan Voigt, 2008. "Does Membership in International Organizations Increase Governments’ Credibility? Testing the Effects of Delegating Powers," KOF Working papers, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich 08-193, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Oxley, Joanne E., 1999. "Institutional environment and the mechanisms of governance: the impact of intellectual property protection on the structure of inter-firm alliances," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 283-309, March.
- Di Gregorio, Dante, 2005. "Re-thinking country risk: insights from entrepreneurship theory," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 209-226, April.
- Somerville, R. A. & Taffler, R. J., 1995. "Banker judgement versus formal forecasting models: The case of country risk assessment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 281-297, May.
- Hadjikhani, Amjad & Ghauri, Pervez N., 2001. "The behaviour of international firms in socio-political environments in the European Union," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 263-275, June.
- Al Khattab, Adel & Anchor, John R. & Davies, Eleanor M.M., 2008. "The institutionalisation of political risk assessment (IPRA) in Jordanian international firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 688-702, December.
- Antonio Afonso, 2003. "Understanding the determinants of sovereign debt ratings: Evidence for the two leading agencies," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 56-74, March.
- Clark, Ephraim & Kassimatis, Konstantinos, 2004. "Country financial risk and stock market performance: the case of Latin America," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 21-41.
- Oetzel, Jennifer M. & Bettis, Richard A. & Zenner, Marc, 2001. "Country risk measures: how risky are they?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 128-145, July.
- William C. Gruben & John H. Welch, 2001. "Banking and currency crisis recovery: Brazil's turnaround of 1999," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q IV, pages 12-23.
- Ephraim Clark & Konstantinos Kassimatis, 2013. "International equity flows, marginal conditional stochastic dominance and diversification," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 251-271, February.
- Indro, Daniel C. & Richards, Malika, 2007. "The determinants of foreign partner's equity ownership in Southeast Asian joint ventures," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 177-206, April.
- António Afonso, 2002. "Understanding the Determinants of Government Debt Ratings: Evidence for the Two Leading Agencies," Working Papers Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon 2002/02, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Owen, Sian & Yawson, Alfred, 2013. "Information asymmetry and international strategic alliances," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3890-3903.
- Oetzel, Jennifer, 2005. "Smaller may be beautiful but is it more risky? Assessing and managing political and economic risk in Costa Rica," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 765-790, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.