Cross-National Comparison of Export Promotion Services: The Views of Canadian and Austrian Companies
AbstractExport promotion systems in Canada and Austria are contrasted and their services evaluated from a company perspective. The Canadian system is government-based, while the Austrian one operates in the private sector. Apart from the philosophy under which these export support systems operate, they differ also in strategic orientation. A survey of stratified samples of exporters in Canada (271) and Austria (312) shows significant differences in perceived usefulness of services given similar exporters needs. Companies desire more tailored support as well as greater involvement of private sector institutions which are not currently providing export support. Overall, Austrian companies appear more inclined to use export support and generally seem more willing to acquire exporting know-how externally compared to Canadian firms. Conclusions are offered with respect to improving the respective export promotion systems.© 1991 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1991) 22, 115–133
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 22 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gripsrud, Geir & Benito, Gabriel R. G., 1995. "Promoting imports from developing countries: A marketing perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 141-148, February.
- Lederman, Daniel & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Payton, Lucy, 2006.
"Export promotion agencies : what works and what doesn't,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4044, The World Bank.
- Lederman, Daniel & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Payton, Lucy, 2006. "Export Promotion Agencies: What Works and What Doesn't," CEPR Discussion Papers 5810, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wilkinson, Timothy & Brouthers, Lance Eliot, 2006. "Trade promotion and SME export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 233-252, June.
- Freixanet, Joan, 2012. "Export promotion programs: Their impact on companies’ internationalization performance and competitiveness," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1065-1086.
- Sharmistha Bagchi-Sen, 1999. "The Small and Medium Sized Exporters' Problems: An Empirical Analysis of Canadian Manufacturers," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 231-245.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.