International Strategies of Non-Dominant Firms
AbstractThere has been a growing interest in how follower firms can compete with industry leaders. This article documents the use of international strategies by some non-dominant firms to avoid direct competition with industry leaders. Twenty-five cases of international strategies used by non-dominant firms in a variety of industries were cluster analyzed to identify common strategies. Seven different strategies were identified together with their attendant firm characteristics, stage of industry internationalization, and underlying competitive logic.© 1986 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1986) 17, 1–25
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 17 (1986)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen, Rongxin & Martin, Marc J., 2001. "Foreign expansion of small firms: The impact of domestic alternatives and prior foreign business involvement," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 557-574, November.
- Yuan Chen & Michael Young, 2010. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions by Chinese listed companies: A principal–principal perspective," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 523-539, September.
- Jeanjean, Thomas & Lesage, Cédric & Stolowy, Hervé, 2010.
"Why do you speak English (in your annual report)?,"
The International Journal of Accounting,
Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 200-223, June.
- Elango, B., 1998. "An empirical examination of the influence of industry and firm drivers on the rate of internationalization by firms," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 201-221, November.
- Belderbos,René & Sleuwaegen,Leo, 2000. "Foreign Investment and International Plant Configuration: Whither the Product Cycle?," Research Memorandum 003, Maastricht University, Netherlands Institute of Business Organization and Strategy Research (NIBOR).
- Seyoum, Belay, 2007. "Trade liberalization and patterns of strategic adjustment in the US textiles and clothing industry," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 109-135, February.
- Lee, Seung-Hyun & Beamish, Paul W. & Lee, Ho-Uk & Park, Jong-Hun, 2009. "Strategic choice during economic crisis: Domestic market position, organizational capabilities and export flexibility," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Moon, Hwy-Chang & Roehl, Thomas W., 2001. "Unconventional foreign direct investment and the imbalance theory," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 197-215, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.