The Influence of Culture on the Process of Business Negotiations: An Exploratory Study
AbstractThe processes of business negotiations in three countries, the United States, Japan, and Brazil, are composed and contrasted. Three dyads from each country were videotaped during a buyer-seller negotiation simulation. Both verbal behaviors and nonverbal behaviors were observed and recorded. Observed differences provide the basis for hypothesized differences which might be tested in future work.© 1985 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1985) 16, 81–96
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 16 (1985)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jitka Odehnalová, 2009. "The Nature of Chinese Business Negotiation Behaviour: A Battlefield or a Gentlemen's Club?," Acta Oeconomica Pragensia, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(6), pages 52-62.
- Li, Tiger & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 1995. "A classification and assessment of research streams in International Marketing," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 251-277, September.
- G.E. Kersten & S.J. Noronha, 1997. "Negotiation Via the World Wide Web: A Cross-Cultural Study of Decision Making," Working Papers ir97052, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- G.E. Kersten & T.R. Madan Mohan & S.J. Noronha & M.J. Kersten, 1998. "Learning Business Negotiations with Web-based Systems: The Case of IIMB," Working Papers ir98049, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Volkema, Roger J., 2004. "Demographic, cultural, and economic predictors of perceived ethicality of negotiation behavior: A nine-country analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 69-78, January.
- Roger Volkema, 2012. "Understanding initiation behavior in Brazilian negotiations: an analysis of four regional subcultures," Brazilian Business Review, Fucape Business School, vol. 9(2), pages 88-108, April.
- Volkema, Roger J., 1999. "Ethicality in Negotiations: An Analysis of Perceptual Similarities and Differences Between Brazil and the United States," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 59-67, May.
- Saorín-Iborra, M. Carmen, 2008. "Time pressure in acquisition negotiations: Its determinants and effects on parties' negotiation behaviour choice," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 285-309, June.
- Luo, Yadong & Shenkar, Oded, 2002. "An empirical inquiry of negotiation effects in cross-cultural joint ventures," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 141-162.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.