The Properties of the Equity Premium and the Risk-Free Rate: An Investigation Across Time and Countries
AbstractWe examine the relationship between the equity premium and the risk-free rate over time for Group of Seven countries. We show the existence of subsample instabilities, cross-country differences, and examine whether a consumption-based CAPM model is able to explain the heterogeneity of the data when cross-country and time-series differences in technology parameters are accounted for. We demonstrate that the basic features of the equity premium and risk-free puzzles remain regardless of the sample period and the country considered. Modifications of the basic setup also fall short of providing an explanation for the puzzles. Copyright 2003, International Monetary Fund
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal IMF Staff Papers.
Volume (Year): 50 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rieger, Marc Oliver & Wang, Mei, 2012. "Can ambiguity aversion solve the equity premium puzzle? Survey evidence from international data," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 63-72.
- Casper van Ewijk & C. Santing, 2010.
"A meta-analysis of the equity premium,"
CPB Discussion Paper
156, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.