Crises, Contagion, and the Closed-End Country Fund Puzzle
AbstractThis paper analyzes the behavior of closed-end country fund discounts, including evidence from the Mexican and East Asian crises. It finds that the ratio of fund prices to their fundamental value increases dramatically during a crisis, an anomaly that we denote the "closed-end country fund puzzle." Our results show that the puzzle relates directly to the fact that international investors are less (more) sensitive to changes in local (global) market conditions than domestic investors. This asymmetry implies that foreign participation in local markets can help dampen the effect of a crisis in asset prices in the originating country, at the cost of amplifying contagion to noncrisis countries. Copyright 2000, International Monetary Fund
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal IMF Staff Papers.
Volume (Year): 47 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hughen, J. Christopher & Mathew, Prem G., 2009. "The efficiency of international information flow: Evidence from the ETF and CEF prices," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 40-49, March.
- Caramazza, Francesco & Ricci, Luca & Salgado, Ranil, 2004. "International financial contagion in currency crises," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 51-70, February.
- Chan, Kalok & Kot, Hung Wan & Li, Desmond, 2008. "Portfolio concentration and closed-end fund discounts: Evidence from the China market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 129-143, June.
- Chin-Shien Lin & Haider A. Khan & Ying-Chieh Wang & Ruei-Yuan Chang, 2006.
"A New Approach to Modeling Early Warning Systems for Currency Crises : can a machine-learning fuzzy expert system predict the currency crises effectively?,"
CARF F-Series, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo
CARF-F-065, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Lin, Chin-Shien & Khan, Haider A. & Chang, Ruei-Yuan & Wang, Ying-Chieh, 2008. "A new approach to modeling early warning systems for currency crises: Can a machine-learning fuzzy expert system predict the currency crises effectively?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1098-1121, November.
- Chin-Shien Lin & Haider A. Khan & Ying-Chieh Wang & Ruei-Yuan Chang, 2006. "A New Approach to Modeling Early Warning Systems for Currency Crises : can a machine-learning fuzzy expert system predict the currency crises effectively?," CIRJE F-Series, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo CIRJE-F-411, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Sergio Luis Schmukler & Neeltje Van Horen, 2006.
"International Financial Integration through the Law of One Price,"
Business School Working Papers, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella
2006-01, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Levy Yeyati, Eduardo & Schmukler, Sergio L. & Van Horen, Neeltje, 2006. "International financial integration through the law of one price," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 3897, The World Bank.
- Ramchander, Sanjay & Simpson, Marc W. & Thiewes, Harold, 2008. "The effect of macroeconomic news on German closed-end funds," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 708-724, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.