Macroeconomic Conditions and Pressures for Protection under Antidumping and Countervailing Duty Laws: Empirical Evidence from the United States
AbstractAntidumping (AD) and countervailing duty (CVD) procedures are governed by specific rules requiring both injury (by reason of imports) and dumping/subsidies, and thus might be expected to be less susceptible to pressures for protection arising from cyclical movements in the domestic macroeconomy. This paper investigates whether there is a connection between the state of domestic macroeconomic activity and pressures for protection under AD/CVD. Not unlike other forms of protection, the evidence suggests that pressures for protection under AD/CVD have advanced during periods of macroeconomic weakness and receded during periods of macroeconomic strength.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 44 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rob Gregory & Christian Henn & Brad Mcdonald & Mika Saito, 2010. "Trade And The Crisis: Protect Or Recover," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(02), pages 165-181.
- Michael Owen Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2008.
"Trade Liberalization and Antidumping: Is There a Substitution Effect?,"
2008-09, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Michael O. Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2011. "Trade Liberalization and Antidumping: Is There a Substitution Effect?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 601-619, November.
- Michael Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2011. "Trade Liberalization and Antidumping: Is There a Substitution Effect?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136352, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michael Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2008. "Trade Liberalization and Antidumping: Is There a Substitution Effect?," Working Papers ECARES 2008_024, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Datt, Mohini & Hoekman, Bernard & Malouche, Mariem, 2011.
"Taking Stock of Trade Protectionism Since 2008,"
World Bank - Economic Premise,
The World Bank, issue 72, pages 1-9, December.
- Mah, Jai S. & Kim, Yong Dae, 2006. "Antidumping duties and macroeconomic variables: The case of Korea," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 157-162, February.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2003054 is not listed on IDEAS
- Honório Kume & Guida Piani, 2004. "Regime Antidumping: A Experiência Brasileira," Discussion Papers 1037, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Hoekman, Bernard, 1998. "Free trade and deep integration : antidumping and antitrust in regional agreements," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1950, The World Bank.
- Douglas Irwin, 2004. "The Rise of U.S. Antidumping Actions in Historical Perspective," NBER Working Papers 10582, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, Kyung-Ho & Mah, Jai S., 2003. "Institutional changes and antidumping decisions in the United States," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 555-565, September.
- Mustapha Sadni Jallab & Monnet Gbakou & René Sandretto, 2008.
"L'influence des facteurs macroéconomiques sur les ouvertures d'enquêtes antidumping : Le cas de l'Union européenne et des États-Unis,"
- Mustapha Sadni Jallab & Monnet Benoît Patrick Gbakou & René Sandretto, 2008. "L'influence des facteurs macroéconomiques sur les ouvertures d'enquêtes antidumping : le cas de l'Union Européenne et des États-Unis," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 0(4), pages 573-600.
- Aggarwal, Aradhna, 2004. "Macro Economic Determinants of Antidumping: A Comparative Analysis of Developed and Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1043-1057, June.
- Jai S. Mah, 2003. "Countervailing Duties in the USA," Working papers 2003-45, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2005.
"The Rise of U.S. Antidumping Activity in Historical Perspective,"
IMF Working Papers
05/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2005. "The Rise of US Anti-dumping Activity in Historical Perspective," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 651-668, 05.
- Francois, Joseph & Niels, Gunnar, 2003.
"Business Cycles, the Current Account and Administered Protection in Mexico,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3981, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph Francois & Gunnar Niels, 2003. "Business Cycles, the Current Account, and Administered Protection in Mexico," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-054/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Niels, Gunnar & ten Kate, Adriaan, 2006. "Antidumping policy in developing countries: Safety valve or obstacle to free trade?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 618-638, September.
- Kume, Honorio & Piani, Guida, 2005. "Antidumping and safeguard mechanisms : the Brazilian experience, 1988-2003," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3562, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.