Auction Format Matters: Evidence on Bidding Behavior and Seller Revenue
AbstractThis paper evaluates the importance of auction format on bidding behavior and seller revenue, focusing on differences in performance under uniform-price and discriminatory-price formats. The analysis is based on a standard benchmark model from which empirically testable hypotheses are derived on the optimal amount of bid shading that generates revenue equivalence between the two formats. Applying this model to data from the IMF gold auctions run in 1976-80, we find evidence of statistically significant shading in excess of the theoretically derived optimum under the discriminatory format. This evidence suggests greater seller revenue under the uniform-price format.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 43 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Other versions of this item:
- Robert Alan Feldman & Vincent Reinhart, 1995. "Auction Format Matters - Evidence on Bidding Behavior and Seller Revenue," IMF Working Papers 95/47, International Monetary Fund.
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Osório-Peters, Suhita, 1998. "The goals of sustainable development and the reform of the EU banana trade regime: a discussion of different trade instruments," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-31, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Osório-Peters, Suhita, 1998. "Die Reform der EU-Marktordnung für Bananen: Lösungsansätze eines fairen Handels unter Berücksichtigung der Interessen von Kleinproduzenten," ZEW Dokumentationen 98-07, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Sara Castellanos, 2001. "Mexican treasury securities primary auctions," Theory workshop papers 357966000000000025, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Sara Castellanos, 2001. "A New Empirical Study of the Mexican Treasury Securities Primary Auctions: Is there more underpricing?," Levine's Working Paper Archive 625018000000000206, David K. Levine.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.