Wage Structures in the Transition of the Czech Economy
AbstractFrom the perspective of market economies, central planning produced distinct distortions in the wage structures of socialist countries. This paper examines the extent to which wage structures in the state and private sectors have adjusted to remove such distortions during the economic transition, using micro data from the Czech Republic. There is strong evidence that Czech wage structures are moving toward patterns observed in market economies, and the change is being led by developments in the private sector. At the same time, the establishment of collective bargaining does not appear to be introducing countervailing distortions into Czech wage structures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal International Monetary Fund Staff Papers.
Volume (Year): 42 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nadeem Ul Haque, 1998. "Issues in the Designing of Public Sector Reform," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 37(4), pages 299-327.
- Profit, Stefan, 1997. "Twin peaks in regional unemployment and returns to scale in job-matching in the Czech Republic," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,63, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Keane, Michael P. & Prasad, Eswar, 2002.
"Changes in the Structure of Earnings During the Polish Transition,"
IZA Discussion Papers
496, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Keane, Michael P. & Prasad, Eswar S., 2006. "Changes in the structure of earnings during the Polish transition," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 389-427, August.
- Eswar Prasad & Michael P. Keane, 2002. "Changes in the Structure of Earnings During the Polish Transition," IMF Working Papers 02/135, International Monetary Fund.
- Elizabeth Brainerd & David M. Cutler, 2005.
"Autopsy on an Empire: Understanding Mortality in Russia and the Former Soviet Union,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp740, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Elizabeth Brainerd & David M. Cutler, 2005. "Autopsy on an Empire: Understanding Mortality in Russia and the Former Soviet Union," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 107-130, Winter.
- Elizabeth Brainerd & David M. Cutler, 2004. "Autopsy on an Empire: Understanding Mortality in Russia and the Former Soviet Union," NBER Working Papers 10868, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brainerd, Elizabeth & Cutler, David M., 2005. "Autopsy on an Empire: Understanding Mortality in Russia and the Former Soviet Union," IZA Discussion Papers 1472, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Brainerd, Elizabeth & Cutler, David, 2005. "Autopsy on an Empire: Understanding Mortality in Russia and the Former Soviet Union," Scholarly Articles 2640589, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Brainerd, Elizabeth & Cutler, David M, 2005. "Autopsy on an Empire: Understanding Mortality in Russia and the Former Soviet Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 4900, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jiří Večerník, 2001.
"Earnings disparities in the czech republic: evidence of the past decade and cross-national comparison,"
Prague Economic Papers,
University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2001(3).
- Jiri Vecernik, 2001. "Earnings Disparities in the Czech Republic: Evidence of the Past Decade and Cross-National Comparison," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 373, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Philipp C. Rother, 2000.
"Inflation in Albania,"
IMF Working Papers
00/207, International Monetary Fund.
- Puhani, Patrick A., 1997. "All Quiet on the Wage Front?," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-03, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Elizabeth Brainerd, 2000. "How Does Privatization Affect Workers? The Case of the Russian Mass Privatization Program," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 303, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Nadeem Ul Haque, 2007. "Why Civil Service Reforms Do Not Work," Labor Economics Working Papers 22192, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Phan, Diep & Coxhead, Ian, 2013.
"Long-run costs of piecemeal reform: Wage inequality and returns to education in Vietnam,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 1106-1122.
- Phan, Diep & Coxhead, Ian, 2012. "Long-Run Costs of Piecemeal Reform: Wage Inequality and Returns to Education in Vietnam," Staff Paper Series 566, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Phan, Diep & Coxhead, Ian A., 2012. "Long-run costs of piecemeal reform: wage inequality and returns to education in Vietnam," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124207, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Filer, Randall K. & Jurajda, Stepan & Planovsky, Jan, 1999. "Education and wages in the Czech and Slovak Republics during transition," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 581-593, November.
- Stefan Bojnec, 2003. "Wage formation during economic transformation: macroeconomic facts and firm survey evidence from Slovenia," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 571-593.
- World Bank, 2003. "The Russian Labor Market : Moving from Crisis to Recovery," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15007, January.
- Vladislav Flek & Jiri Vecernik, 1998. "Employment and Wage Structures in the Czech Republic," Archive of Monetary Policy Division Working Papers 1998/03, Czech National Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.