The Operation of the Estonian Currency Board
AbstractThis paper describes the operation of the Estonian currency board arrangement that has pegged the Estonian kroon to the deutsche mark since June 20, 1992, when Estonia left the ruble zone and introduced its own currency. The paper describes the institutional arrangements that were chosen for Estonia and discusses the implications for policy, markets, and program design. After reviewing the performance of the system over the first nine months of its operation, the paper considers how the arrangement will function over the medium term.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 40 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sahay, Ratna & Vegh, Carlos, 1995.
"Dollarization in transition economies: Evidence and policy implications,"
20490, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont & Ratna Sahay, 1995. "Dollarization in Transition Economies: Evidence and Policy Implications," IMF Working Papers 95/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Andreas Freytag, 2001. "Why Have Some Monetary Reforms Succeeded and Others Not? - An Empirical Assessment," IWP Discussion Paper Series 04/2001, Institute for Economic Policy, Cologne, Germany.
- Andreas Freytag, 2004. "EMU Enlargement: Which Concept of Convergence to Apply?," Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft 11/2004, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Owen F. Humpage & Jean M. McIntire, 1995. "An introduction to currency boards," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q II, pages 2-11.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.