European Fiscal Harmonization and the French Economy
AbstractThe implications of European fiscal harmonization for the French economy are examined using a general equilibrium model. The model extends the overlapping generations, simulation model developed by Auerbach and Kotlikoff in three ways: a well-developed external sector is included; households face constraints in their borrowing; and the population comprises "rich" and "poor" households with different labor productivities. The harmonization policy that involves cuts in VAT and savings taxes leads to welfare losses for both rich and poor approximately equivalent to 1 percent of GDP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 38 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Other versions of this item:
- W. R. M. Perraudin & Thierry Pujol, 1990. "European Fiscal Harmonization and the French Economy," IMF Working Papers 90/96, International Monetary Fund.
- H22 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Incidence
- H87 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - International Fiscal Issues; International Public Goods
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1987. "Fiscal Policies and the World Economy; An Intertemporal Approach (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1987)," MPRA Paper 20438, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Valkonen, Tarmo, 2000. "Shifting the tax burden from labour to capital in general equilibrium," Discussion Papers 702, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Kenc, Turalay & Sayan, Serdar, 2001. "Demographic shock transmission from large to small countries: An overlapping generations CGE analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 677-702, August.
- Lassila, Jukka, 2002. "An Overlapping-Generations Simulation Model for the Lithuanian Economy," Discussion Papers 669, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Turalay Kenc & Serdar Sayan, 1998. "Transmission of Demographic Shock Effects from Large to Small," GE, Growth, Math methods 9804001, EconWPA.
- Serdar Sayan & Ali Emre Uyar, 2001.
"Directions of Trade Flows and Labor Movements between high-and Low-Population Growth Countries: An Overlapping Generations General Equilibrium Analysis,"
Departmental Working Papers
0108, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Serdar Sayan & Ali Emre Uyar, 2002. "Directions of Trade Flows and Labor Movements between High- And Low-Population Growth Countries: An Overlapping Generations General Equilibrium Analysis," GE, Growth, Math methods 0203003, EconWPA.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Steven A. Symansky & Assaf Razin, 1991.
"International VAT Harmonization: Economic Effects,"
IMF Working Papers
91/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Serdar Sayan & Turalay Kenc, 1998. "Transmission of Demographic Shock Effects from Large to Small Countries : An Overlapping Generations CGE Analysis," Departmental Working Papers 985, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Pierre-Yves Letournel & Katheline Schubert, 1991. "Un modèle d'équilibre général appliqué à l'étude de la fiscalité française," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 98(2), pages 83-99.
- Talpos, Ioan & Dima, Bogdan & Mutascu, Mihai & Enache, Cosmin, 2009. "Empirical Evidencies for the Budget Deficits Co-Integration in the Old European Union Members: Are there any Interlinkages in Fiscal Policies?," MPRA Paper 12647, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.