Transitional Arrangements for Trade and Payments among the CMEA Countries
AbstractThe CMEA countries are starting to conduct their trade at world prices and in convertible currencies. These are crucial steps in economic reform but will worsen Eastern Europe's terms of trade and drive it into current account deficit with the U.S.S.R. Proposals have been made for a payments union, resembling the European Payments Union of 1950-58, to ease the transition. Such an arrangement would not function well if it included the U.S.S.R., which would be a persistent creditor. Other ways must be found to deal with the transition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 38 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- P33 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - International Trade, Finance, Investment, Relations, and Aid
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dani Rodrik, 1992.
"Making Sense of the Soviet Trade Shock in Eastern Europe: A Framework and Some Estimates,"
NBER Working Papers
4112, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1992. "Making Sense of the Soviet Trade Shock in Eastern Europe: A Framework and Some Estimates," CEPR Discussion Papers 705, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Groshek, Gerald, 1997. "The Czech and Slovak Clearing Agreement: a post-mortem," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 171-184, July.
- Franz Lang, 1992. "Strategic trade policy for Eastern Europe," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 182-189, July.
- Schmieding, Holger, 1991. "External protection for the emerging market economies? The case for financial liberalisation instead of import barriers in Eastern Europe," Kiel Working Papers 498, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Siebert, Horst, 1991. "Die Integration Osteuropas in die Weltwirtschaft," Kiel Working Papers 491, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Michalopoulos, Constantine, 1996. "Payments and finance problems in the Commonwealth of Independent States," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1587, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.