Systemic Banking Crises Database
AbstractThe paper presents a comprehensive database on systemic banking crises during 1970–2011. It proposes a methodology to date banking crises based on policy indices, and examines the robustness of this approach. The paper also presents information on the costs and policy responses associated with banking crises. The database on banking crises episodes is further complemented with dates for sovereign debt and currency crises during the same period. The paper contrasts output losses across different crises and finds that sovereign debt crises tend to be more costly than banking crises, and these in turn tend to be more costly than currency crises. The data also point to significant differences in policy responses between advanced and emerging economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal IMF Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 61 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996.
"Currency crashes in emerging markets: an empirical treatment,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
534, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1996. "Currency crashes in emerging markets: An empirical treatment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 351-366, November.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Klingebiel, Daniela & Kroszner, Randall S & Laeven, Luc, 2006.
"Banking Crises, Financial Dependence and Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5623, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Davide Romelli & Cristina Terra & Enrico Vasconcelos, 2014. "Current Account and Real Exchange Rate changes: the Impact of Trade Openness," THEMA Working Papers 2014-10, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Agnese Sacchi & Alberto Zazzaro, 2014. "Property Tax and Fiscal Discipline in OECD Countries," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 95, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Hale, Galina B & Obstfeld, Maurice, 2014.
"The Euro and the Geography of International Debt Flows,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9937, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hale, Galina & Obstfeld, Maurice, 2014. "The euro and the geography of international debt flows," Working Paper Series 2014-10, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Galina Hale & Maurice Obstfeld, 2014. "The Euro and The Geography of International Debt Flows," NBER Working Papers 20033, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Balteanu, Irina & Erce, Aitor, 2014. "Bank Crises and Sovereign Defaults in Emerging Markets: Exploring the Links," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 184, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Jonathon Adams-Kane & Julián Caballero & Jamus Lim, 2014. "Foreign Bank Behavior during Financial Crises," IDB Publications 85874, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Cerutti, Eugenio & Hale, Galina & Minoiu, Camelia, 2014. "Financial crises and the composition of cross-border lending," Working Paper Series 2014-20, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Raymond Chaudron & Jakob de Haan, 2014. "Identifying and dating systemic banking crises using incidence and size of bank failures," DNB Working Papers 406, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Wei Liao & Sampawende J.-A. Tapsoba, 2014. "Chinaâ€™s Monetary Policy and Interest Rate Liberalization: Lessons from International Experiences," IMF Working Papers 14/75, International Monetary Fund.
- Zhang, Lu & Grydaki, Maria & Bezemer, Dirk, 2014. "Is Financial Development Bad for Growth?," Research Report 14016-GEM, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Higgins, Matthew & Klitgaard, Thomas, 2014. "The balance of payments crisis in the euro area periphery," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 20.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.