Risk Taking by Banks in the Transition Countries
AbstractAlthough the performance and privatisation of transition banks have been widely studied already, little is known about their risk-taking and risk management activities. We use a new European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) survey data set of banks to examine risk taking by banks in the transition countries. We find no indication of excessive risk taking by specific ownership or size categories of banks. Also, we find no connections between risk taking and the quality of the institutional environment although an unsound environment is associated with higher levels of capital.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Comparative Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 49 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Other versions of this item:
- Paul Wachtel & Iftekhar Hasan & Mingming Zhou, 2007. "Institutional Development, Financial Deepening and Economic Growth: Evidence from China," Working Papers 07-17, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transitition countries,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998.
"Law and Finance,"
3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haselmann, Rainer & Pistor, Katharina & Vig, Vikrant, 2006.
"How Law Affects Lending,"
157, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Wachtel & Rainer Haselmann, 2006. "Institutions and Bank Behavior," Working Papers 06-16, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2001:i:may:p:241-261 is not listed on IDEAS
- de Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2006.
"Foreign banks and credit stability in Central and Eastern Europe. A panel data analysis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1927-1952, July.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2003. "Foreign Banks and Credit Stability in Central and Eastern Europe: A Panel Data Analysis," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 109, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Steven Fries & Damien Neven & Paul Seabright & Anita Taci, 2006. "Market entry, privatization and bank performance in transition," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(4), pages 579-610, October.
- Honohan,Patrick & Laeven,Luc (ed.), 2005. "Systemic Financial Crises," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521851855, November.
- Claeys, Sophie & Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2008. "Determinants of bank interest margins in Central and Eastern Europe: A comparison with the West," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 197-216, June.
- Haselmann, Rainer, 2006. "Strategies of foreign banks in transition economies," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 283-299, December.
- Iulia Iuga, 2008. "Analysis On The Romanian Banking Legislation And The Banks Probability Of Default," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(10), pages 43.
- Agoraki, Maria-Eleni & Delis, Manthos D & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2009.
"Regulations, competition and bank risk-taking in transition countries,"
16495, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Agoraki, Maria-Eleni K. & Delis, Manthos D. & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2011. "Regulations, competition and bank risk-taking in transition countries," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 38-48, January.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Korhonen, Iikka & Zhou, Mingming, 2010. "Does diversification increase or decrease bank risk and performance? Evidence on diversification and the risk-return tradeoff in banking," BOFIT Discussion Papers 9/2010, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Brown, M., 2011. "Use of Banking Services in Emerging Markets -Household-Level Evidence (Replaces CentER DP 2010-092)," Discussion Paper 2011-089, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- John Bonin & Iftekhar Hasan & Paul Wachtel, 2013. "Banking in Transition Countries," Wesleyan Economics Working Papers 2013-008, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Brown, M., 2010. "Which Households Use Banks? Evidence from the Transition Economies (Replaced by CentER DP 2011-089)," Discussion Paper 2010-92, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Iulia Iuga & Ruxandra Lazea, 2012. "Study Regarding The Influence Of The Unemployment Rate Over Non-Performing Loans In Romania Using The Correlation Indicator," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 2(14), pages 18.
- Georgios P. Kouretas & Chris Tsoumas, 2013. "Bank Risk-Taking in CEE Countries," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 5(2), pages 103-123, June.
- Beck, Thorsten & Brown, Martin, 2011.
"Which households use banks? Evidence from the transition economies,"
Working Paper Series
1295, European Central Bank.
- Thorsten Beck & Martin Brown, 2011. "Which Households Use Banks? Evidence from the Transition Economies," BCL working papers 50, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Thorsten Beck & Martin Brown, 2011. "Which Households Use Banks? Evidence from the Transition Economies," Working Papers 2011-01, Swiss National Bank.
- Pradeep Mitra & Marcelo Selowsky & Juan Zalduendo, 2010. "Turmoil at Twenty : Recession, Recovery, and Reform in Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2682.
- Beck, Thorsten & Brown, Martin, 2011. "Use of Banking Services in Emerging Markets--Household-Level Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 8475, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Iuga Iulia & Socol Adela, 2010. "Measuring Model For Bad Loans In Banks. The Default Probability Model," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(2), pages 754-759, December.
- Iulia Iuga, 2009. "The Assessment Procedure Of The Operational Risk Events," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(11), pages 49.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.