Monetary Policy Strategies For Emerging Market Countries: Lessons From Latin America
AbstractThe paper examines three possible monetary policy strategies for emerging market countries — hard pegs, monetary targeting and inflation targeting — by conducting case studies of the recent Latin America experience. The track record of monetary policy in these countries provides useful clues as to which of the three strategies might be best suited to conditions in different emerging market countries. Comparative Economic Studies (2002) 44, 45–82; doi:10.1057/ces.2002.9
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Comparative Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 44 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lane, Philip R, 2003.
"Business Cycles and Macroeconomic Policy in Emerging Market Economies,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 89-108, Spring.
- Philip R. Lane, 2003. "Business Cycles and Macroeconomic Policy in Emerging Market Economies," Trinity Economics Papers 20032, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Luis Fernando Melo Velandia & Martha Alicia Misas Arango, 2004.
"Modelos Estructurales de Inflación en Colombia: Estimación a través de Mínimos Cuadrados Flexibles,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003244, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Luis Fernando melo V. & Martha Misas A., . "Modelos Estructurales de Inflación en Colombia: Estimación a traves de Minimos Cuadrados Flexibles," Borradores de Economia 282, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Fernando Melo & Martha Misas A., . "Modelos Estructurales de Inflación en Colombia: Estimación a Través de Mínimos Cuadrados Flexibles," Borradores de Economia 283, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Cabral, René, 2010. "Why dollarization didn't succeed: Comparing credibility and the impact of real shocks on small open economies," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 297-313, December.
- Petreski, Marjan & Jovanovic, Branimir, 2012. "New Approach to Analyzing Monetary Policy in China," MPRA Paper 40497, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- René Cabral-Torres, . "Assessing the Impact of Real Shocks on Small Dollarized Economies," Discussion Papers 05/27, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Vasco Curdia, 2008.
"Optimal Monetary Policy under Sudden Stops,"
2008 Meeting Papers
474, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Birdsall, Nancy & de la Torre, Augusto & Caicedo, Felipe Valencia, 2010. "The Washington consensus : assessing a damaged brand," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5316, The World Bank.
- Aliyu, Shehu Usman Rano & Englama, Abwaku, 2009. "Is Nigeria Ready for Inflation Targeting?," MPRA Paper 14870, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Apr 2009.
- Pedro H. Albuquerque & Solange Gouvea, 2005.
"Canaries and Vultures: A Quantitative History of Monetary Mismanagement in Brazil,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Albuquerque, Pedro H. & Gouvea, Solange, 2009. "Canaries and vultures: A quantitative history of monetary mismanagement in Brazil," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 479-495, April.
- Sek, Siok Kun, 2008. "Interactions between monetary policy and exchange rate in inflation targeting emerging countries: the case of three East Asian countries," MPRA Paper 12034, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 09 Dec 2008.
- Geiger, Michael, 2006. "Monetary Policy in China (1994-2004) : Targets, Instruments and their Effectiveness," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 68, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.