The Impact of the Housing Market Boom and Bust on Consumption Spending
AbstractWhile econometric evidence for the United States has consistently shown that increases in real estate wealth induce additional consumption, it does not directly speak to the effect of a substantial decrease in real estate wealth. This paper examines the real-estate wealth-consumption relationship over the past half century with a particular focus on the sharp decline in 2006–08, and finds that the wealth effect in the recent down market is significantly larger than in an up market. Additionally, wealth changes seem only to affect consumption of services and nondurable goods; there is virtually no impact on durable-goods consumption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Costantini, Mauro & Paradiso, Antonio, 2013.
"Re-examining the decline in the US saving rate: The impact of mortgage equity withdrawal,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 215-225.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mauro Costantini & Antonio Paradiso, 2012. "Re-examining the Decline in the US Saving Rate: The Impact of Mortgage Equity Withdrawal," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1232, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mauro Costantini & Antonio Paradiso, 2012. "Re-examining the Decline in the US Saving Rate: The Impact of Mortgage Equity Withdrawal," CESifo Working Paper Series 3897, CESifo Group Munich.
- Paradiso, Antonio & Casadio, Paolo & Rao, B. Bhaskara, 2012. "US inflation and consumption: A long-term perspective with a level shift," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1837-1849.
- Beatrice D. Simo-Kengne & Stephen M. Miller & Rangan Gupta & Goodness C. Aye, 2013.
"Time-Varying Effects of Housing and Stock Prices on U.S. Consumption,"
2013-13, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Beatrice D. Simo-Kengne & Stephen M. Miller & Rangan Gupta & Goodness C. Aye, 2013. "Time-Varying Effects of Housing and Stock Prices on U.S. Consumption," Working Papers 201325, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Chad R. Wilkerson & Megan D. Williams, 2011. "Booms and busts in household wealth: implications for Tenth District states," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.