The Profile of Labour Force Discouragement in Australia
AbstractThis study presents a time series analysis of the cyclical relationship between the labour force participation rate and the unemployment rate in Australia over the period 1979-1998. The Hodrick-Prescott filter is employed to extract the cyclical components of the series, which are used for the purposes of testing. This generates estimates more robust than in previous studies. At an aggregate level, the negative correlation between these variables has risen in magnitude over the sample period. Disaggregation of the data according to numerous demographic categories shows greater discouragement among female workers, unmarried workers, Australian-born workers, students, workers with children, and workers in certain states and cities.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre (BCEC), Curtin Business School in its journal Australian Journal of Labour Economics.
Volume (Year): 4 (2000-2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: GPO Box U1987, Perth WA 6845
Web page: http://business.curtin.edu.au/research/publications/journals/ajle/
More information through EDIRC
Econometric Methods: Single Equation Models: Time-Series Models; Macroeconomics; Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Wage Indexation; Business Fluctuations; Cycles;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fuchs, Johann & Weber, Brigitte, 2010. "Umfang und Struktur der westdeutschen Stillen Reserve : Aktualisierte Schätzungen (Extent and structure of the hidden labour force in Western German)," IAB-Forschungsbericht 201011, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alan Duncan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.