Managing Oil Price Risk in Developing Countries
AbstractThis article presents a simple framework for understanding the impact of oil dependence on growth in terms of an optimal savings and investment strategy. Among the more important factors underlying this strategy is the extent to which oil price changes are temporary or permanent. This in turn determines whether a country should rely on stabilization and savings funds or the use of financial instruments to manage oil revenues--or both. Country experiences with stabilization and savings funds are surveyed, and the case is presented for using financial instrument to manage oil price risk. Policy implications for enhancing the use of financial instruments are explored, including an expanded role for international financial institutions. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal The World Bank Research Observer.
Volume (Year): 19 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wbro.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cotter, John & Hanly, Jim, 2009.
"Time varying risk aversion : an application to energy hedging,"
Open Access publications from University College Dublin
urn:hdl:10197/2168, University College Dublin.
- Cotter, John & Hanly, Jim, 2010. "Time-varying risk aversion: An application to energy hedging," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 432-441, March.
- John Cotter & Jim Hanly, 2010. "Time Varying Risk Aversion: An Application to Energy Hedging," Working Papers 201007, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- John Cotter & Jim Hanly, 2011. "Time Varying Risk Aversion: An Application to Energy Hedging," Papers 1103.5968, arXiv.org.
- Cotter, John & Hanly, Jim, 2010. "Time-varying risk aversion : an application to energy hedging," Open Access publications from University College Dublin urn:hdl:10197/1720, University College Dublin.
- Alderman, Harold & Haque, Trina, 2006. "Countercyclical safety nets for the poor and vulnerable," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 372-383, August.
- Reyes-Loya, Manuel Lorenzo & Blanco, Lorenzo, 2008. "Measuring the importance of oil-related revenues in total fiscal income for Mexico," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2552-2568, September.
- Olivia S. Mitchell & John Piggott & Cagri Kumru, 2008. "Managing Public Investment Funds: Best Practices and New Challenges," NBER Working Papers 14078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.