Emerging Equity Markets: Growth, Benefits, and Policy Concerns
AbstractSince the mid-1980s, stock market activity has increased substantially in many developing countries. This article first examines the main characteristics of emerging stock markets and illustrates the evolution of equity prices in these markets during the last decade. It then discusses the reasons for the markets' growth and assesses the extent to which they have been affected by domestic policies and external factors. The authors discuss the likely benefits of these markets, the effects any abrupt correction in stock prices could have for the economy, and the ways in which these markets can be made more efficient. Copyright 1995 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal World Bank Research Observer.
Volume (Year): 10 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wbro.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Robert Ley, 1997. "Internal sources of development finance: Concepts, issues and strategies P.C. Kumar Quorum Books, 1994, 161 pp," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 25(3), pages 318-322, September.
- Sami, Heibatollah & Zhou, Haiyan, 2004. "A comparison of value relevance of accounting information in different segments of the Chinese stock market," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 403-427.
- Alles, Lakshman & Murray, Louis, 2013. "Rewards for downside risk in Asian markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2501-2509.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.