The Impact of Mexico's Retraining Program on Employment and Wages
AbstractThis article analyzes the impact and effectiveness of the Mexican labor retraining program for unemployed and displaced workers--Programa de Becas de Capacitacion para Trabajadores (PROBECAT). The strategy followed is to compare the post-training labor market experiences of trainees with those of a comparison group--a matched sample of unemployed individuals who were eligible for, but did not participate in PROBECAT. The results of this exercise suggest that participation in PROBECAT reduced the mean duration of unemployment for both men and women trainees and increased the monthly earnings of men, but not of women. The results also indicate that the post-training earnings effect varied systematically by level of education attained, with the largest earnings increases (of about 28 to 37 percent) found for men with six to twelve years of education. Copyright 1994 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal World Bank Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 8 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marcelo Delajara & Samuel Freije & Isidro Soloaga, 2006.
"An Evaluation of Training for the Unemployed in Mexico,"
OVE Working Papers
0906, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
- Marcelo Delajara & Samuel Freije & Isidro Soloaga, 2006. "An Evaluation of Training for the Unemployed in Mexico," IDB Publications 35098, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Kaplan, David S. & Gonzalez, Gabriel Martinez & Robertson, Raymond, 2007. "Mexican employment dynamics : evidence from matched firm-worker data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4433, The World Bank.
- Dar, Amit & Gill, Indermit S, 1998. "Evaluating Retraining Programs in OECD Countries: Lessons Learned," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 13(1), pages 79-101, February.
- Calderón-Madrid, Angel & Trejo, Belem, 2002. "The Impact of the Mexican Training Program for Unemployed Workers on Re-employment Dynamics and on Earnings," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 A2-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Angel Calderon Madrid, 2000. "Job Stability and Labor Mobility in Urban Mexico: A Study Based on Duration Models and Transition Analysis," Research Department Publications 3117, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Wodon, Quentin & Minowa, Mari, 2001. "Training for the Urban Unemployed: A Reevaluation of Mexico's Training Program, Probecat," MPRA Paper 12310, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David S. Kaplan & Raymond Robertson & Gabriel Martínez González, 2005.
"What Happens to Wages after Displacement?,"
JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Godtland, Erin M & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & De Janvry, Alain & Murgai, Rinku & Ortiz, Oscar, 2004.
"The Impact of Farmer Field Schools on Knowledge and Productivity: A Study of Potato Farmers in the Peruvian Andes,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 63-92, October.
- Godtland, Erin & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain & Murgai, Rinku & Ortiz, Oscar, 2003. "The Impact of Farmer-Field-Schools on Knowledge and Productivity: A Study of Potato Farmers in the Peruvian Andes," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt8hp835xx, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Godtland, Erin & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain & Murgai, Rinku & Ortiz, Oscar, 2003. "The impact of farmer-field-schools on knowledge and productivity : a study of potato farmers in the Peruvian Andes," CUDARE Working Paper Series 963, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Quentin Wodon & Rodrigo Castro & Kihoon Lee, 2001. "Poverty in Latin America: Trends (1986-1998) and Determinants," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 38(114), pages 127-153.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.