Wage Rigidity: Micro and Macro Evidence on Labor Market Adjustment in the Modern Sector
AbstractAggregate data on wages and employment may provide misleading indicators of labor market conditions. They may suggest inappropriate wage policies in the fact of the rising unemployment experienced in many developing countries during the 1980s. Such increases in unemployment are often attributed to wage rigidities. A cursory review of aggregate data for the modern sector in the Ivory Coast would support this view, suggesting that employment declined during the 1979-84 recession due to an increase in real wages. Examination of disaggregated data from two labor force censuses of the modern sector, however, shows that real wages declined for specified classes of labor. The work force was characterized by greater education, training, and experience; workers with a given level of attributes received a lower real wage by the end of the recession than before it. Despite this drop in real wages, employment in the modern sector declined. Copyright 1989 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal World Bank Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 3 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Horton, Susan & Kanbur, Ravi & Mazumdar, Dipak, 1991. "Labor markets in an era of adjustment : an overview," Policy Research Working Paper Series 694, The World Bank.
- Lesueur, Jean-Yves & Plane, Patrick, 1995. "Structures industrielles et stratégies salaire-emploi en Côte d’Ivoire," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 71(3), pages 291-307, septembre.
- Stevenson, Gail, 1992. "How public sector pay and employment affect labor markets : research issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 944, The World Bank.
- Rama, Martin, 1998. "Wage misalignment in CFA countries: are labor market policies to blame?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1873, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.