Asset Prices in Dynamic Production Economies with Time-Varying Risk
AbstractWe examine the effect of changes in output uncertainty on the price of aggregate capital and on the prices of levered claims on capital. The relation between the volatility of the marginal product of capital and the price of capital depends on the level of capital adjustment costs and the elasticity of intertemporal substitution. For available estimates of this elasticity, the value of capital and risks are directly related while the value of levered equity claims on capital may be decreasing in risk. We use these results to analyze the argument that increased risk was responsible for the U.S. stock market decline of the 1970s. Article published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies in its journal, The Review of Financial Studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 7 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jonathan Berk & Richard C. Green & Vasant Naik, 1998.
"Optimal Investment, Growth Options, and Security Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
6627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan B. Berk & Richard C. Green & Vasant Naik, 1999. "Optimal Investment, Growth Options, and Security Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(5), pages 1553-1607, October.
- Jonathan Berk & Richard C. Green & Vasant Naik, . "Optimal Investment, Growth Options and Security Returns," GSIA Working Papers 64, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Geert Bekaert & Eric Engstrom & Yuhang Xing, 2006.
"Risk, Uncertainty and Asset Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
12248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geert Bekaert & Eric Engstrom & Yuhang Xing, 2005. "Risk, uncertainty, and asset prices," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-40, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bekaert, Geert & Engstrom, Eric & Xing, Yuhang, 2006. "Risk, Uncertainty and Asset Prices," CEPR Discussion Papers 5947, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert E. Hall, 2001.
"The Stock Market and Capital Accumulation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1185-1202, December.
- Li, Qing & Vassalou, Maria & Xing, Yuhang, 2001. "An Investment-Growth Asset Pricing Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 3058, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Padamja Singal & Stephen D. Smith, 1999. "Expected stock returns and volatility in a production economy: a theory and some evidence," Working Paper 99-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.