A Mean-Variance Framework for Tests of Asset Pricing Models
AbstractThis article presents a mean-variance framework for likelihood- ratio tests of asset pricing models. A pricing model is tested by examining the position of one or more reference portfolios in sample mean-standard-deviation space. Included are tests of both single-beta and multiple-beta relations, with or without a riskless asset, using either a general or a specific alternative hypothesis. Tests with a factor that is not a portfolio return are also included. The mean-variance framework is illustrated by testing the zero-beta CAPM, a two- beta pricing model, and the consumption-beta model. Article published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies in its journal, The Review of Financial Studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 2 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Shumel Kandel & Robert F. Stambaugh, . "A Mean-Variance Framework for Tests for Asset Pricing Models," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 25-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simon Stevenson, 2000. "International Real Estate Diversification: Empirical Tests using Hedged Indices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 19(1), pages 105-131.
- Campbell R. Harvey, 1994.
"Predictable Risk and Returns in Emerging Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
4621, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini & Marco Taboga, 2004.
"Portfolio Selection with Monotone Mean-Variance Preferences,"
ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series
27-2004, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research, revised Dec 2004.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini & Marco Taboga, 2009. "Portfolio Selection With Monotone Mean-Variance Preferences," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 487-521.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini & Marco Taboga, 2004. "Portfolio Selection with Monotone Mean-Variance Preferences," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 6, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2007.
- Massimo Marinacci & Fabio Maccheroni & Aldo Rustichini & Marco Taboga, 2005. "Portfolio Selection with Monotone Mean-Variance Preferences," Finance 0502014, EconWPA.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini & Marco Taboga, 2008. "Portfolio Selection with Monotone Mean-Variance Preferences," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 664, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Andrew F. Siegel, 2006. "Testing Portfolio Efficiency with Conditioning Information," NBER Working Papers 12098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kandel, Shmuel & Stambaugh, Robert F, 1995.
" Portfolio Inefficiency and the Cross-Section of Expected Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 157-84, March.
- Shmuel Kandel & Robert F. Stambaugh, 1994. "Portfolio Inefficiency and the Cross-Section of Expected Returns," NBER Working Papers 4702, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1994. "Multifactor Models Do Not Explain Deviations from the CAPM," NBER Working Papers 4756, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kandel, S. & McCulloch, R. & Stambaugh, R.F., 1991.
"Bayesian Inference and Portfolio Efficiency,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
8-91, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Claessens, Stijn, 1993. "Equity portfolio investment in developing countries : a literature survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1089, The World Bank.
- Attiya Y. Javid & Eatzaz Ahmad, 2008. "The Conditional Capital Asset Pricing Model: Evidence from Karachi Stock Exchange," PIDE-Working Papers 2008:48, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Javid, Attiya Yasmin, 2008. "Time Varying Risk Return Relationship: Evidence from Listed Pakistani Firms," MPRA Paper 37561, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kim, Daehwan, 2012. "Is currency hedging necessary for emerging-market equity investment?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 67-71.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.