Dynamic Debt Runs
AbstractThis article analyzes the dynamic coordination problem among creditors of a firm with a time-varying fundamental and a staggered debt structure. In deciding whether to roll over his debt, each maturing creditor is concerned about the rollover decisions of other creditors whose debt matures during his next contract period. We derive a unique threshold equilibrium and characterize the roles of fundamental volatility, credit lines, and debt maturity in driving runs. In particular, we show that when fundamental volatility is sufficiently high, commonly used measures such as temporarily keeping the firm alive under runs and increasing debt maturity can exacerbate rather than mitigate runs. The Author 2012. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 25 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mancini, Loreano & Ranaldo, Angelo & Wrampelmeyer, Jan, 2013. "The Euro Interbank Repo Market," Working Papers on Finance 1316, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Ahnert, Toni & Bertsch, Christoph, 2013. "A wake-up call: information contagion and strategic uncertainty," Working Paper Series 282, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden), revised 01 Mar 2014.
- Martin, Antoine & Skeie, David & Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig von, 2013.
"The Fragility of Short-Term Secured Funding Markets,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
449, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Martin, Antoine & Skeie, David & von Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig, 2014. "The fragility of short-term secured funding markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 149(C), pages 15-42.
- Antoine Martin & David Skeie & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 2013. "The fragility of short-term secured funding markets," Staff Reports 630, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Imbierowicz, Björn & Rauch, Christian, 2014. "The relationship between liquidity risk and credit risk in banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 242-256.
- repec:cge:warwcg:123 is not listed on IDEAS
- Konstantin Milbradt & Martin Oehmke, 2014. "Maturity Rationing and Collective Short-Termism," NBER Working Papers 19946, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Araujo, Luis & Guimarães, Bernardo, 2013.
"The effect of options on coordination,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9294, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- GUIMARAES, Bernardo & ARAUJO, Luis, 2013. "The effect of options on coordination," Textos para discussÃ£o 324, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Bernardo Guimaraes & Luis Araujo, 2012. "The effect of options on coordination," 2012 Meeting Papers 474, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Zhang, Lei & Zhang, Lin & Zheng, Yong, 2013. "Wholesale Funding, Coordination, and Credit Risk," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 124, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Jasmina Arifovic & Janet Hua Jiang, 2014. "Do Sunspots Matter? Evidence from an Experimental Study of Bank Runs," Working Papers 14-12, Bank of Canada.
- Vivian Yue & Bin Wei, 2013. "Dynamic Debt Runs and the Market for Variable Rate Demand Obligations," 2013 Meeting Papers 1308, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guimaraes, Bernardo & Machado, Caio, 2013. "Demand expectations and the timing of stimulus policies," MPRA Paper 48895, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Gouriéroux & Jean-Cyprien Heam, 2013. "Funding Liquidity Risk from A Regulatory Perspective," Working Papers 2013-20, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.