Housing Wealth and Consumption Growth: Evidence from a Large Panel of Households
AbstractThis article uses a large panel dataset that tracks the housing wealth and credit card spending of 12,793 individuals in Hong Kong to study the relationship between housing wealth and household consumption. I identify a significant effect of housing wealth on consumption. A pure wealth effect can explain part of the sensitivity: households with multiple houses have much stronger consumption responses. Consistent with a relaxation of the credit constraints, mortgage refinancing significantly increases households' consumption sensitivities. However, for the majority of the households that do not refinance, consumption sensitivity appears to be due to a reduction in precautionary saving. The Author 2010. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 23 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke & Aaron Mehrotra, 2011.
"What Drives Urban Consumption in Mainland China? The Role of Property Price Dynamics,"
152011, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Chen, Yu-Fu & Funke, Michael & Mehrotra, Aaron, 2011. "What drives urban consumption in mainland China? The role of property price dynamics," BOFIT Discussion Papers 13/2011, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke & Aaron Mehrotra, 2011. "What Drives Urban Consumption In Mainland China? The Role Of Property Price Dynamics," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 255, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Chen, Yu-Fu & Funke, Michael & Mehrotra, Aaron, 2011. "What drives urban consumption in mainland china? The role of property price dynamics," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-50, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Funke, Michael & Paetz, Michael, 2013.
"Housing prices and the business cycle: An empirical application to Hong Kong,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 62-76.
- Michael Funke & Michael Paetz, 2011. "Housing Prices and the Business Cycle: An Empirical Application to Hong Kong," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 21112b, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Daniel Cooper & Karen Dynan, 2013. "Wealth shocks and macroeconomic dynamics," Public Policy Discussion Paper 13-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Arrondel, L. & Savignac, F. & Tracol, K., 2011. "Wealth Effects on Consumption Plans: French Households in the Crisis," Working papers 344, Banque de France.
- Vittorio Peretti & Rangan Gupta & Roula Inglesi-Lotz, 2012. "Do House Prices Impact Consumption and Interest Rate in South Africa? Evidence from a Time-Varying Vector Autoregressive Model," Working Papers 201216, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- McCarthy, Yvonne & McQuinn, Kieran, 2013. "Price expectations, distressed mortgage markets and the housing wealth effect," Research Technical Papers 06/RT/13, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Wen-Chi Liao & Daxuan Zhao & Tien Sing, 2014. "Risk Attitude and Housing Wealth Effect," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 467-491, April.
- Balasubramanyan, Lakshmi & Coulson, Edward, 2013. "Do house prices impact business starts?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 36-44.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.