Are there permanent valuation gains to overseas listing?
AbstractThis paper tests whether foreign equity listings are associated with permanent valuation gains and examines how market and firm characteristics influence any valuation effects. Using a global sample of 1,676 listings placed in 25 countries, we find that much of the valuation gains to overseas listings are not permanent. The transitory nature of valuation gains holds for both average US listings and average first-time firm listings. We find little evidence of a permanent effect on returns for firms that list abroad, even for firms' listings in markets that are more liquid, provide better legal protection, or have a larger shareholder base. The Author 2008. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please email: email@example.com, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 22 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thierry Foucault & Laurent Frésard, 2012.
"Cross-Listing, Investment Sensitivity to Stock Price, and the Learning Hypothesis,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(11), pages 3305-3350.
- Foucault, Thierry & Frésard, Laurent, 2011. "Cross-Listing, Investment Sensitivity to Stock Price and the Learning Hypothesis," CEPR Discussion Papers 8331, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sarkissian, Sergei & Schill, Michael J., 2012. "The nature of the foreign listing premium: A cross-country examination," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 2494-2511.
- Luo, Yongli & Fang, Fang & Esqueda, Omar A., 2012. "The overseas listing puzzle: Post-IPO performance of Chinese stocks and ADRs in the U.S. market," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 193-211.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2012. "Corporate governance, agency problems and international cross-listings: A defense of the bonding hypothesis," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 516-547.
- Sarkissian, Sergei & Schill, Michael, 2010. "Cross listing waves," MPRA Paper 27545, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sarkissian, Sergei & Schill, Michael, 2010. "Why are U.S. firms listed in foreign markets worth more?," MPRA Paper 27543, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Garner, Jacqueline L. & Kim, Won Yong, 2013. "Are foreign investors really beneficial? Evidence from South Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 62-84.
- Wang, Daphne & Esqueda, Omar A., 2014. "National cultural effects on leverage decisions: Evidence from emerging-market ADRs," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 152-177.
- Bris, Arturo & Cantale, Salvatore & Hrnjić, Emir & Nishiotis, George P., 2012. "The value of information in cross-listing," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 207-220.
- Fernandes, Nuno & Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2013.
"On the fortunes of stock exchanges and their reversals: evidence from foreign listings,"
Working Paper Series
1585, European Central Bank.
- Fernandes, Nuno & Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2009. "On the Fortunes of Stock Exchanges and Their Reversals: Evidence from Foreign Listings," CEPR Discussion Papers 7308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bianconi, Marcelo & Tan, Liang, 2010.
"Cross-listing premium in the US and the UK destination,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 244-259, April.
- Marcelo Bianconi & Liang Tan, 2009. "Cross-listing Premium in the US and the UK Destination," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0737, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Hail, Luzi & Leuz, Christian, 2009. "Cost of capital effects and changes in growth expectations around U.S. cross-listings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(3), pages 428-454, September.
- Anil Mishra, 2014. "Foreign Ownership and Firm Value: Evidence from Australian Firms," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 67-96, March.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Stavros Peristiani, 2010. "Firm value and cross-listings: the impact of stock market prestige," Staff Reports 474, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Korczak, Piotr & Bohl, Martin T., 2005. "Empirical evidence on cross-listed stocks of Central and Eastern European companies," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 121-137, June.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2011. "L’escompte canadien : un réexamen," CIRANO Project Reports 2011rp-11, CIRANO.
- Karen K. Lewis, 2011. "Global asset pricing," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 88, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Bancel, Franck & Kalimipalli, Madhu & Mittoo, Usha R., 2009. "Cross-listing and the long-term performance of ADRs: Revisiting European evidence," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 895-923, December.
- You, Leyuan & Parhizgari, Ali M. & Srivastava, Suresh, 2012. "Cross-listing and subsequent delisting in foreign markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 200-216.
- Boubakri, Narjess & Cosset, Jean-Claude & Samet, Anis, 2010. "The choice of ADRs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2077-2095, September.
- Berkman, Henk & Nguyen, Nhut H., 2010. "Domestic liquidity and cross-listing in the United States," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1139-1151, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.