The Impact of Legal and Political Institutions on Equity Trading Costs: A Cross-Country Analysis
AbstractWe conjecture that macro-level institutions affect equity trading costs through their impact on information risk and investor participation. In a study of trading costs for 412 NYSE-listed American Depository Receipts (ADRs) from 44 countries, we find that, after controlling for firm-level determinants of trading costs, effective spreads and price impact of trades are significantly lower for stocks from countries with better ratings for judicial efficiency, accounting standards, and political stability. Trading costs are significantly higher for stocks from French civil law countries than from common law countries. Overall, we conclude that improvements in legal and political institutions will lower the cost of liquidity in financial markets. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 19 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lim, Kian-Ping & Kim, Jae H., 2011. "Trade openness and the informational efficiency of emerging stock markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 2228-2238, September.
- Kaniel, Ron & Ozoguz, Arzu & Starks, Laura, 2012. "The high volume return premium: Cross-country evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 255-279.
- Visaltanachoti, Nuttawat & Yang, Ting, 2010. "Speed of convergence to market efficiency for NYSE-listed foreign stocks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 594-605, March.
- Chakravarty, Sugato & Xiang, Meifang, 2013.
"The international evidence on discouraged small businesses,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 63-82.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Meifang Xiang, 2012. "The International Evidence on Discouraged Small Businesses," Working Papers 1012, Purdue University, Department of Consumer Sciences.
- Jackson, Howell E. & Roe, Mark J., 2009. "Public and private enforcement of securities laws: Resource-based evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 207-238, August.
- Berkman, Henk & Nguyen, Nhut H., 2010. "Domestic liquidity and cross-listing in the United States," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1139-1151, June.
- Lee, Kuan-Hui, 2011. "The world price of liquidity risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 136-161, January.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Chiraphol N. Chiyachantana & Christine Jiang, 2012.
"The Choice of Trading Venue and Relative Price Impact of Institutional Trading: ADRs versus the Underlying Securities in their Local Markets,"
1011, Purdue University, Department of Consumer Sciences.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Chiraphol N. Chiyachantana & Christine Jiang, 2011. "THE CHOICE OF TRADING VENUE AND RELATIVE PRICE IMPACT OF INSTITUTIONAL TRADING: ADRs VERSUS THE UNDERLYING SECURITIES IN THEIR LOCAL MARKETS," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 34(4), pages 537-567, December.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Chiraphol N. Chiyachantana & Christine Jiang, 2011. "The Choice Of Trading Venue And Relative Price Impact Of Institutional Trading: Adrs Versus The Underlying Securities In Their Local Markets," Working Papers 1010, Purdue University, Department of Consumer Sciences.
- Chakravarty, Sugato & Chiyachantana, Chiraphol N. & Jiang, Christine, 2004. "The Choice of Trading Venue and Relative Price Impact of Institutional Trading: ADRs versus the Underlying Securities in their Local Markets," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1172, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Silva, Ana Cristina & Chávez, Gonzalo A., 2008. "Cross-listing and liquidity in emerging market stocks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 420-433, March.
- Chan, Kalok & Covrig, Vicentiu, 2012. "What determines mutual fund trading in foreign stocks?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 793-817.
- Moulton, Pamela C. & Wei, Li, 2009. "A tale of two time zones: The impact of substitutes on cross-listed stock liquidity," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 570-591, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.