Confronting Information Asymmetries: Evidence from Real Estate Markets
AbstractThere are relatively few direct tests of the economic effects of asymmetric information because of the difficulty in identifying exogenous information measures. We propose a novel exogenous measure of information based on the quality of property tax assessments in different regions and apply this to the U.S. commercial real estate market. We find strong evidence that information considerations are significant. Market participants resolve information asymmetries by purchasing nearby properties, trading properties with long income histories, and avoiding transactions with informed professional brokers. The evidence that the choice of financing is used to address information concerns is mixed and weak. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 17 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Acharya, Viral V & Johnson, Tim, 2005.
"Insider Trading in Credit Derivatives,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5180, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Downs & Z. Güner, 2013. "Commercial Real Estate, Information Production and Market Activity," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 282-298, February.
- Lee, Sanghoon & Ries, John & Somerville, C. Tsuriel, 2013. "Repairs under imperfect information," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 43-56.
- Efraim Benmelech & Mark J. Garmaise & Tobias Moskowitz, 2004.
"Do Liquidation Values Affect Financial Contracts? Evidence from Commercial Loan Contracts and Zoning Regulation,"
NBER Working Papers
11004, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Efraim Benmelech & Mark J. Garmaise & Tobias J. Moskowitz, 2005. "Do Liquidation Values Affect Financial Contracts? Evidence from Commercial Loan Contracts and Zoning Regulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 120(3), pages 1121-1154, August.
- Eloisa T Glindro & Tientip Subhanij & Jessica Szeto & Haibin Zhu, 2008. "Are Asia-Pacific Housing Prices Too High For Comfort?," Working Papers 2008-11, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Gabriele Galati & Federica Teppa & Rob Alessie, 2013. "Heterogeneity in house price dynamics," DNB Working Papers 371, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Siu Wong & C. Yiu & K. Chau, 2012. "Liquidity and Information Asymmetry in the Real Estate Market," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 49-62, June.
- Huang, Rocco R., 2008.
"Evaluating the real effect of bank branching deregulation: Comparing contiguous counties across US state borders,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 678-705, March.
- Huang, Rocco, 2007. "Evaluating the real effect of bank branching deregulation: comparing contiguous counties across U.S. state borders," Working Paper Series 0788, European Central Bank.
- Fathali Firoozi & Daniel R. Hollas & Ronald C. Rutherford & Thomas A. Thomson, 2006. "Property Assessments and Information Asymmetry in Residential Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(3), pages 275-292.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Väänänen, Lotta, 2004. "Mandatory Auditor Choice and Small Finance: Evidence from Finland," Discussion Papers 950, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Mark J. Garmaise & Tobias J. Moskowitz, 2004. "Bank Mergers and Crime: The Real and Social Effects of Credit Market Competition," NBER Working Papers 11006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dang, Tri Vi, 2008. "Bargaining with endogenous information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 339-354, May.
- Eloisa T Glindro & Tientip Subhanij & Jessica Szeto & Haibin Zhu, 2008. "Determinants of house prices in nine Asia-Pacific economies," BIS Working Papers 263, Bank for International Settlements.
- Ridhwan, M.M. & Nijkamp, P. & Rietveld, P., 2008. "Regional development and monetary policy : a review of the role of monetary unions, capital mobility and locational effects," Serie Research Memoranda 0007, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Andrew Baum & Claudia Murray, . "Understanding the Barriers to Real Estate Investment in Developing Economies," Real Estate & Planning Working Papers rep-wp2011-08, Henley Business School, Reading University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.