Stochastic Discount Factor Bounds with Conditioning Information
AbstractHansen and Jagannathan (1991) (hereafter HJ) derive restrictions on the volatility of stochastic discount factors that price a given set of returns. This article studies the sampling properties of HJ bounds that use conditioning information. One approach is to multiply the returns by the lagged variables. We also study optimized HJ bounds with conditioning information from Gallant, Hansen, and Tauchen (1990) and based on portfolios derived in Ferson and Siegel (2001). We document striking finite-sample biases in the HJ bounds, where the bounds reject asset-pricing models too often. We provide a useful bias correction. We also evaluate asymptotic standard errors for the bounds from Hansen, Heaton, and Luttmer (1995). Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 16 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Wayne E. Ferson & Andrew Siegel, 2002. "Stochastic Discount Factor Bounds with Conditioning Information," NBER Working Papers 8789, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schwert, G.W. & Seguin, P.J., 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity In Stock Returns,"
bc_88-02, Rochester, Business - General.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1982.
"Consumption, Asset Markets, and Macroeconomic Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
0838, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shiller, Robert J., 1982. "Consumption, asset markets and macroeconomic fluctuations," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 203-238, January.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Richard, Scott F, 1987. "The Role of Conditioning Information in Deducing Testable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 587-613, May.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1991.
"Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 225-62, April.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies," NBER Technical Working Papers 0089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of security market data for models of dynamic economies," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 29, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ferson, Wayne E. & Foerster, Stephen R., 1994. "Finite sample properties of the generalized method of moments in tests of conditional asset pricing models," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 29-55, August.
- Shanken, Jay, 1987. "Multivariate proxies and asset pricing relations : Living with the Roll critique," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 91-110, March.
- Burnside, Craig, 1994.
"Hansen-Jagannathan Bounds as Classical Tests of Asset-Pricing Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 12(1), pages 57-79, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Burnside's JBES 1994 paper on asset pricing," Statistical Software Components RTZ00027, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Green, Richard C & Hollifield, Burton, 1992.
" When Will Mean-Variance Efficient Portfolios Be Well Diversified?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1785-809, December.
- Green, R.C. & Hollifield, B., 1990. "When Will Mean-Variance Efficient Portfolios Be Well Diversified?," GSIA Working Papers 1990-12, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Dybvig, Philip H & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr, 1982. "Mean-Variance Theory in Complete Markets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(2), pages 233-51, April.
- MacKinlay, A. Craig, 1987. "On multivariate tests of the CAPM," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 341-371, June.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- John H. Cochrane & Lars Peter Hansen, 1993.
"Asset Pricing Explorations for Macroeconomics,"
NBER Working Papers
4088, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1996. " Multifactor Explanations of Asset Pricing Anomalies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 55-84, March.
- John H. Cochrane, 1996. "A Cross-Sectional Test of a Production-Based Asset Pricing Model," NBER Working Papers 4025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geert Bekaert, 2004.
"Conditioning Information and Variance Bounds on Pricing Kernels,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 339-378.
- Geert Bekaert & Jun Liu, 1999. "Conditioning Information and Variance Bounds on Pricing Kernels," NBER Working Papers 6880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Snow, Karl N, 1991. " Diagnosing Asset Pricing Models Using the Distribution of Asset Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 955-83, July.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Luttmer, Erzo G J, 1995.
"Econometric Evaluation of Asset Pricing Models,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(2), pages 237-74.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hansen, Lars Peter & Tauchen, George, 1990. "Using conditional moments of asset payoffs to infer the volatility of intertemporal marginal rates of substitution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 141-179.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Harvey, Campbell R, 1992. " Seasonality and Consumption-Based Asset Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 511-52, June.
- Heber Farnsworth & Wayne E. Ferson & David Jackson & Steven Todd, 2002. "Performance Evaluation with Stochastic Discount Factors," NBER Working Papers 8791, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peñaranda, Francisco & Sentana, Enrique, 2007.
"Duality in Mean-Variance Frontiers with Conditioning Information,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6566, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Enrique Sentana & Francisco Peñaranda, 2007. "Duality In Mean-Variance Frontiers With Conditioning Information," Working Papers wp2007_0715, CEMFI.
- Francisco Peñaranda & Enrique Sentana, 2007. "Duality in mean-variance frontiers with conditioning information," Economics Working Papers 1058, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Driessen, J.J.A.G. & Melenberg, B. & Nijman, T.E., 2005.
"Testing affine term structure models in case of transaction costs,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-143126, Tilburg University.
- Driessen, Joost & Melenberg, Bertrand & Nijman, Theo, 2005. "Testing affine term structure models in case of transaction costs," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 201-232, May.
- Driessen, J.J.A.G. & Melenberg, B. & Nijman, T.E., 1999. "Testing Affine Term Structure Models in Case of Transaction Costs," Discussion Paper 1999-84, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Joost Driessen & Bertrand Melenberg & Theo Nijman, 2000. "Testing Affine Term Structure Models in Case of Transaction Costs," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0553, Econometric Society.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Andrew F. Siegel & Pisun (Tracy) Xu, 2005. "Mimicking Portfolios with Conditioning Information," NBER Working Papers 11020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devraj Basu & Alexander Stremme, 2006. "Asset Pricing Anomalies and Time-varying Betas: A New Specification Test for Conditional Factor Models," Working Papers wpn06-15, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Fletcher, Jonathan & Kihanda, Joseph, 2005. "An examination of alternative CAPM-based models in UK stock returns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 2995-3014, December.
- Raymond Kan & Cesare Robotti, 2008. "The exact distribution of the Hansen-Jagannathan bound," Working Paper 2008-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Liu, Ludan, 2008. "It takes a model to beat a model: Volatility bounds," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 80-110, January.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Andrew F. Siegel, 2006. "Testing Portfolio Efficiency with Conditioning Information," NBER Working Papers 12098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abhyankar, Abhay & Basu, Devraj & Stremme, Alexander, 2007. "Portfolio efficiency and discount factor bounds with conditioning information: An empirical study," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 419-437, February.
- Chrétien, Stéphane, 2012. "Bounds on the autocorrelation of admissible stochastic discount factors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1943-1962.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.