Bank Market Power and SME Financing Constraints
AbstractSome studies find that market power is associated with credit availability (information hypothesis); others find that less competitive banking markets lead to more credit rationing (market power hypothesis). Empirical research has relied solely on concentration as a measure of market power. The industrial organization literature, however, argues that a structural competition indicator such as the Lerner index is a superior measure. We test the information hypothesis and the market power hypothesis using these two alternative measures of market power and find that they generally give conflicting results. However, we also offer evidence suggesting that both views can be reconciled. Copyright 2009, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Finance Association in its journal Review of Finance.
Volume (Year): 13 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Masaji Kano & Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F. Udell & Wako Watanabe, 2006.
"Information Verifiability, Bank Organization, Bank Competition and Bank-Borrower Relationships,"
06003, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kano, Masaji & Uchida, Hirofumi & Udell, Gregory F. & Watanabe, Wako, 2011. "Information verifiability, bank organization, bank competition and bank-borrower relationships," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 935-954, April.
- MariaJosÃ© Palacin-Sanchez & Filippo di Pietro, 2013. "Are Regional Institutional Factors Determinants Of The Capital Structure Of Smes?," ERSA conference papers ersa13p498, European Regional Science Association.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Marinc , Matej, 2013. "Should competition policy in banking be amended during crises? Lessons from the EU," Research Discussion Papers 7/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Presbitero, Andrea F. & Zazzaro, Alberto, 2011.
"Competition and relationship lending: Friends or foes?,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 387-413, July.
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2009. "Competition and Relationship Lending: Friends or Foes?," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 13, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Andrea F. Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2010. "Competition and Relationship Lending: Friends or Foes?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3103, CESifo Group Munich.
- Chong, T.T.L. & Lu, L. & Ongena, S., 2011. "Does Banking Competition Alleviate or Worsen Credit Constraints Faced by Small and Medium Enterprises? Evidence from China (Replaced by CentER DP 2012-013)," Discussion Paper 2011-006, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Behr, Patrick & Norden, Lars & Noth, Felix, 2013. "Financial constraints of private firms and bank lending behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3472-3485.
- Hakenes , Hendrik & Hasan, Iftekhar & Molyneux, Phil & Xie , Ru, 2014. "Small banks and local economic development," Research Discussion Papers 5/2014, Bank of Finland.
- FitzGerald, John & Kearney, Ide & Bergin, Adele & Conefrey, Thomas & Duffy, David & Timoney, Kevin & Znuderl, Nusa, 2013. "Medium-Term Review: 2013-2020, No. 12," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number MTR12, March.
- Kremp, E. & Sevestre, P., 2012.
"Did the crisis induce credit rationing for French SMEs?,"
405, Banque de France.
- Kremp, Elizabeth & Sevestre, Patrick, 2013. "Did the crisis induce credit rationing for French SMEs?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3757-3772.
- Chong, T.T.L. & Lu, L. & Ongena, S., 2012. "Does Banking Competition Alleviate or Worsen Credit Constraints Faced by Small and Medium Enterprises? Evidence from China (Replaces CentER DP 2011-006)," Discussion Paper 2012-013, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Carbo Valverde, S. & Degryse, H.A. & Rodriguez-Fernandez, F., 2011.
"Lending relationships and credit rationing: the impact of securitization,"
2011-128, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Carbó Valverde, Santiago & Degryse, Hans & Rodriguez-Fernandez, Francisco, 2012. "Lending relationships and credit rationing: the impact of securitization," CEPR Discussion Papers 9138, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Morgan, Horatio M., 2013. "Foreign banks and the export performance of emerging market firms: Evidence from India," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 52-60.
- Annie bellier & Wafa Sayeh & Stéphanie Serve, 2012. "What lies behind credit rationing? A survey of the literature," THEMA Working Papers 2012-39, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Chong, Terence Tai-Leung & Lu, Liping & Ongena, Steven, 2013. "Does banking competition alleviate or worsen credit constraints faced by small- and medium-sized enterprises? Evidence from China," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3412-3424.
- María Palacín-Sánchez & Luis Ramírez-Herrera & Filippo di Pietro, 2013. "Capital structure of SMEs in Spanish regions," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 503-519, August.
- Ogura, Yoshiaki, 2012. "Lending competition and credit availability for new firms: Empirical study with the price cost margin in regional loan markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1822-1838.
- Mariya Hake, 2012. "Banking Sector Concentration and Firm Indebtedness: Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.