A Dynamic Model of Optimal Capital Structure
AbstractThis paper presents a continuous time model of a firm that can dynamically adjust both its capital structure and its investment choices. In the model we endogenize the investment choice as well as firm value, which are both determined by an exogenous price process that describes the firm's product market. Within the context of this model we explore cross-sectional as well as time-series variation in debt ratios. We pay particular attention to interactions between financial distress costs and debtholder/equityholder agency problems and examine how the ability to dynamically adjust the debt ratio affects the deviation of actual debt ratios from their targets. Regressions estimated on simulated data generated by our model are roughly consistent with actual regressions estimated in the empirical literature. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Finance Association in its journal Review of Finance.
Volume (Year): 11 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Other versions of this item:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- G35 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Payout Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wong, Kit Pong, 2011. "Progressive taxation and the intensity and timing of investment," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 100-108, January.
- Flannery, Mark J. & Rangan, Kasturi P., 2006. "Partial adjustment toward target capital structures," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 469-506, March.
- Pawlina, Grzegorz, 2010. "Underinvestment, capital structure and strategic debt restructuring," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 679-702, December.
- Heitor Almeida & Thomas Philippon, 2007.
"The Risk-Adjusted Cost of Financial Distress,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 62(6), pages 2557-2586, December.
- Chu, Kai Cheung & Wong, Kit Pong, 2010. "Progressive taxation and corporate liquidation policies with mean-reverting earnings," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 730-736, May.
- Armen Hovakimian & Ayla Kayhan & Sheridan Titman, 2011.
"Are Corporate Default Probabilities Consistent with the Static Tradeoff Theory?,"
NBER Working Papers
17290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Armen Hovakimian & Ayla Kayhan & Sheridan Titman, 2012. "Are Corporate Default Probabilities Consistent with the Static Trade-off Theory?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(2), pages 315-340.
- Hirth, Stefan & Uhrig-Homburg, Marliese, 2010.
"Investment timing, liquidity, and agency costs of debt,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 243-258, April.
- Hirth, Stefan & Uhrig-Homburg, Marliese, 2009. "Investment Timing, Liquidity, and Agency Costs of Debt," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2009-04, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Andrea Gamba & Gordon A. Sick & Carmen Aranda León, 2008.
"Investment under Uncertainty, Debt and Taxes,"
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 37(1), pages 31-58, 02.
- Faulkender, Michael & Flannery, Mark J. & Hankins, Kristine Watson & Smith, Jason M., 2012. "Cash flows and leverage adjustments," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 632-646.
- Myklebust, Tor Åge, 2012. "Performance Sensitive Debt - Investment and Financing Incentives," Discussion Papers 2012/7, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Coculescu, Delia, 2011. "Dividends and leverage: How to optimally exploit a non-renewable investment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 312-329, March.
- : Andrea Gamba & : Alexander J. Triantis, 2013. "How Effectively Can Debt Covenants Alleviate Financial Agency Problems?," Working Papers wpn13-08, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Elkamhi, Redouane & Ericsson, Jan & Parsons, Christopher A., 2012. "The cost and timing of financial distress," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 62-81.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Whited, Toni M., 2011. "Capital structure dynamics and transitory debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 235-261, February.
- Miglo, Anton, 2010. "The Pecking Order, Trade-off, Signaling, and Market-Timing Theories of Capital Structure: a Review," MPRA Paper 46691, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
- : Andrea Gamba & Carmen Aranda Leon & Alessio Saretto, 2011. "Dynamic Capacity Choice, Dynamic Capital Structure and Credit Risk," Working Papers wpn11-03, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Andrea Gamba & Alexander J. Triantis, 2008. "Valuing Corporate Financing Strategies," Working Papers wpn08-02, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Cole, Rebel, 2008. "What do we know about the capital structure of privately held firms? Evidence from the Surveys of Small Business Finance," MPRA Paper 8086, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tsyplakov, Sergey, 2008. "Investment frictions and leverage dynamics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 423-443, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.