Cost-Effectiveness of Alternative Integrated Pest Management Extension Methods: An Example from Bangladesh
AbstractThis study examines the cost-effectiveness of alternative methods for diffusing integrated pest management practices in Bangladesh. Methods compared include farmer field schools, field days, and extension agent visits. Farmer field school participants were more likely to adopt integrated pest management practices than recipients of messages from field days and agent visits. However, due to lower costs per participant, field days were the most cost-effective means for stimulating adoption of simpler practices and extension agent visits were the most cost-effective for extending more complex practices. Copyright 2008, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Rosenzweig & Andrew D. Foster, .
"Learning by Doing and Learning from Others: Human Capital and Technical Change in Agriculture,"
_068, University of Pennsylvania.
- Foster, Andrew D & Rosenzweig, Mark R, 1995. "Learning by Doing and Learning from Others: Human Capital and Technical Change in Agriculture," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(6), pages 1176-1209, December.
- Gershon Feder & Rinku Murgai & Jaime B. Quizon, 2004.
"Sending Farmers Back to School: The Impact of Farmer Field Schools in Indonesia,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(1), pages 45-62.
- Feder, Gershon & Murgai, Rinku & Quizon, Jaime B., 2003. "Sending farmers back to school - the impact of farmer field schools in Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3022, The World Bank.
- Alfonso Miranda & Sophia Rabe-Hesketh, 2006. "Maximum likelihood estimation of endogenous switching and sample selection models for binary, ordinal, and count variables," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(3), pages 285-308, September.
- Gershon Feder & Rinku Murgai & Jaime B. Quizon, 2004. "The Acquisition and Diffusion of Knowledge: The Case of Pest Management Training in Farmer Field Schools, Indonesia," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2), pages 221-243.
- Yorobe Jr., J.M. & Rejesus, R.M. & Hammig, M.D., 2011. "Insecticide use impacts of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Farmer Field Schools: Evidence from onion farmers in the Philippines," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(7), pages 580-587, September.
- Carlberg, Eric & Kostandini, Genti & Dankyi, Awere, 2012. "The Effects of Integrated Pest Management Techniques (IPM) Farmer Field Schools on Groundnut Productivity: Evidence from Ghana," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124876, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Li, Jie & Gomez, Miguel I. & Rickard, Bradley J. & Skinner, Margaret, 2011. "Factors Influencing Adoption of Integrated Pest Management in Northeast Greenhouse and Nursery Production," Working Papers 126614, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Li, Jie & GÃ³mez, Miguel I. & Rickard, Bradley J. & Skinner, Margaret, 2013. "Factors Influencing Adoption of Integrated Pest Management in Northeast Greenhouse and Nursery Production," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 42(2), August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.