On Price Caps Under Uncertainty
AbstractThis paper shows how standard arguments supporting the imposition of price caps break down in the presence of demand uncertainty. In particular, though in the deterministic case the introduction or lowering of a price cap (above marginal cost) results in increased production, increased total welfare, decreased prices, and increased consumer welfare, we show that all of the above comparative statics predictions fail for generic uncertain demand functions. For example, for price caps sufficiently close to marginal cost, a decrease in the price cap always leads to a decrease in production and total welfare under certain mild conditions. Under stronger regularity assumptions, all of the monotone comparative statics predictions from the deterministic case also do not hold for a generic uncertain demand if we restrict attention to price caps in an arbitrary fixed interval (as long as the price caps are binding for some values in that interval). Copyright 2007, Wiley-Blackwell.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal The Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 74 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonio Estache & L. Wren-Lewis, 2008. "Towards a Theory of Regulation for Developing Countries: Following Laffont's Lead," Working Papers ECARES, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 2008_018, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Angela S. Bergantino & Etienne Billette De Villemeur & Annalisa Vinella, 2011.
"Partial Regulation in Vertically Differentiated Industries,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 13(2), pages 255-287, 04.
- Bergantino, Angela Stefania & de Villemeur, Étienne & Vinella, Annalisa, 2007. "Partial Regulation in Vertically Differentiated Industries," IDEI Working Papers, Institut d'Ãconomie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse 502, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Apr 2010.
- Roques, Fabien A. & Savva, Nicos, 2009. "Investment under uncertainty with price ceilings in oligopolies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 507-524, February.
- Luis Corchón & Félix Marcos, 2010. "Price regulation in oligopoly," Economics Working Papers, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de EconomÃa we100101, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Roques, F.A. & Savva , N.S., 2006. "Price Cap Regulation and Investment Incentives under Demand Uncertainty," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge 0636, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Laszlo Goerke & Frederik Herzberg & Thorsten Upmann, 2012.
"Failure of Ad Valorem and Specific Tax Equivalence under Uncertainty,"
CESifo Working Paper Series, CESifo Group Munich
3946, CESifo Group Munich.
- Laszlo Goerke & Frederik Herzberg & Thorsten Upmann, 2012. "Failure of Ad Valorem and Specific Tax Equivalence under Uncertainty," IAAEU Discussion Papers, Institute of Labour Law and Industrial Relations in the European Union (IAAEU) 201205, Institute of Labour Law and Industrial Relations in the European Union (IAAEU).
- Zöttl, Gregor, 2011. "On optimal scarcity prices," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 589-605, September.
- de Frutos, Maria-Angeles & Fabra, Natalia & Von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik M, 2008. "Investment Incentives and Auction Design in Electricity Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 6626, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alfredo Garcia & Ennio Stacchetti, 2011. "Investment dynamics in electricity markets," Economic Theory, Springer, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 149-187, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.