An Efficient Multi-Unit Ascending Auction
AbstractWe provide an ascending auction that yields an efficient outcome when there are many identical units for sale and bidders have interdependent values and downward-sloping demand. Our ascending auction both extends and generalizes Ausubel's (2004) and yields the same outcome as Perry and Reny's (2002) generalization of Vickrey's (1961) sealed-bid auction. There are two key features of our auction. Bidders are permitted both to express different demands against different bidders, as well as to increase their demands. The equilibrium strategies are closely related to the familiar "drop out when price equals value" strategy of the English auction. Copyright 2005, Wiley-Blackwell.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal The Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 72 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lamy, Laurent, 2012. "On minimal ascending auctions with payment discounts," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 990-999.
- Michal Bresky, 2009.
"Revenue and Efficiency in Multi-Unit Uniform-Price Auctions,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp384, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Bresky, Michal, 2013. "Revenue and efficiency in multi-unit uniform-price auctions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 82(C), pages 205-217.
- Andersson, Tommy & Erlanson, Albin, 2013.
"Multi-item Vickrey–English–Dutch auctions,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 116-129.
- Dobzinski, Shahar & Lavi, Ron & Nisan, Noam, 2012. "Multi-unit auctions with budget limits," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 486-503.
- Albin Erlanson, 2014. "The Duo-Item Bisection Auction," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 43(1), pages 15-31, January.
- Lawrence M. Ausubel, 2006. "An Efficient Dynamic Auction for Heterogeneous Commodities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 602-629, June.
- Johan Swinnen & Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs, 2008. "Study on the Functioning of Land Markets in the EU Member States under the Influence of Measures applied under the Common Agricultural Policy," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2008_04, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.