Young people and the Great Recession
AbstractThis article reviews the effects of the Great Recession on youth labour markets. We argue that young people aged 16--24 have suffered disproportionately during the recession. Using the USA and UK as case studies, we analyse youth unemployment using micro-data. We find that there is convincing evidence that the effects of unemployment when young impose costs on individuals and society well into the future. Although the effects of current policies on youth unemployment are uncertain, there is still a strong case for policy intervention to address the difficulties that the young are having in accessing employment. Copyright 2011, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 27 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
Other versions of this item:
- J01 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics: General
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Van Reenen, 2003.
"Active Labour Market Policies and the British New Deal for the Young Unemployed in Context,"
NBER Working Papers
9576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Van Reenen, 2004. "Active Labor Market Policies and the British New Deal for the Young Unemployed in Context," NBER Chapters, in: Seeking a Premier Economy: The Economic Effects of British Economic Reforms, 1980-2000, pages 461-496 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas A. Mroz & Timothy H. Savage, 2006. "The Long-Term Effects of Youth Unemployment," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 41(2).
- Andersen, Torben M & Maibom Pedersen, Jonas & Svarer, Michael & Sørensen, Allan, 2013.
"Do Business Cycles Have Long-Term Impact for Particular Cohorts?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7817, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Torben M. Andersen & Jonas Maibom & Michael Svarer & Allan Sørensen, 2013. "Do Business Cycles Have Long-Term Impact for Particular Cohorts?," Economics Working Papers 2013-26, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- David N. F. Bell & David G. Blanchflower, . "How to Measure Underemployment?," Working Paper Series WP13-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Hutengs, Oliver & Stadtmann, Georg, 2013. "Don't trust anybody over 30: Youth unemployment and Okun's law in CEE countries," Discussion Papers 333, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
- Zimmermann, Klaus F. & Biavaschi, Costanza & Eichhorst, Werner & Giulietti, Corrado & Kendzia, Michael J. & Muravyev, Alexander & Pieters, Janneke & RodrÃguez-Planas, NÃºria & Schmidl, Ricarda, 2013.
"Youth Unemployment and Vocational Training,"
Foundations and Trends(R) in Microeconomics,
now publishers, vol. 9(1â2), pages 1-157, December.
- Biavaschi, Costanza & Eichhorst, Werner & Giulietti, Corrado & Kendzia, Michael J. & Muravyev, Alexander & Pieters, Janneke & Rodríguez-Planas, Núria & Schmidl, Ricarda & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2012. "Youth Unemployment and Vocational Training," IZA Discussion Papers 6890, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Haaland, Venke Furre, 2013. "The Lost Generation: Effects of Youth Labor Market Opportunities on Long-Term Labor Market Outcomes," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2013/8, University of Stavanger.
- Bruno Amable, 2013.
"Who wants the contrat de travail unique ? Social support for labour market flexibilisation in France,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Bruno Amable, 2013. "Who wants the contrat de travail unique ? Social support for labour market flexibilisation in France," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 13008, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Arnstein Aassve & Elena Cottini & Agnese Vitali, 2013. "Youth Vulnerability in Europe during the Great Recession," Working Papers 057, "Carlo F. Dondena" Centre for Research on Social Dynamics (DONDENA), Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi.
- Schmillen, Achim & Umkehrer, Matthias, 2013. "The scars of youth : effects of early-career unemployment on future unemployment experience," IAB Discussion Paper 201306, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- João Leão & Guida Nogueira, 2013. "Youth Unemployment in Southern Europe," GEE Papers 0051, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Dec 2013.
- Giuseppe Bertola & John Driffill & Harold James & Hans-Werner Sinn & Jan-Egbert Sturm & Ákos Valentinyi, 2013. "Chapter 3: Labour Market Reform and Youth Unemployment," EEAG Report on the European Economy, CESifo Group Munich, vol. 0, pages 73-94, 02.
- International Labour Office, 2012. "Global employment trends for youth : 2012," Global Employment Trends Reports 480201, International Labour Office, Economic and Labour Market Analysis Department.
- Dodescu Anca & Pop Cohut Ioana & Chirila Lavinia, 2012. "A Proposal Of Model Of Analysis Of The Transition From School To Active Life Of Economists Based On Inter-Regional Labour Market Partnership. Study Case Of Practeam Project," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(2), pages 185-191, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.