The Assessment: European Financial Integration
AbstractThis paper reviews the objectives that lie behind the Financial Services Action Plan (FSAP) to integrate European financial markets and the degree to which these have been achieved to date. It records that there has been substantial progress in many areas, but less elsewhere. It concludes that effective enforcement of home-country authorization and single-passport principles is critical to the attainment of full market integration. It argues that this requires the application of competition policy to cross-border mergers and possibly an extension of the scope of competition policy in financial services. Continued efforts will be required to remove regulatory differences that make foreign entry and operations more costly than domestic ones and to improve the consolidation of and the international access to clearing and settlement systems. The article supports attempts to integrate retail financial services in the post-FSAP period, while acknowledging the limitations that exist to the geographical expansion of these markets. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 20 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Horobet, Alexandra & Ilie, Livia, 2007. "Regulation versus Competition on European Financial Markets," MPRA Paper 6133, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2003.
"Interlinking securities settlement systems: A strategic commitment?,"
Research Discussion Papers
26/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2007. "Interlinking securities settlement systems: A strategic commitment?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 2962-2977, October.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2005. "Interlinking securities settlement systems: a strategic commitment?," Working Paper Series 0427, European Central Bank.
- Guido K. Schaefer, 2008. "An Economic Analysis of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA)," FIW Working Paper series 011, FIW.
- Gabriele Galati & Philip Wooldridge, 2009.
"The euro as a reserve currency: a challenge to the pre-eminence of the US dollar?,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 1-23.
- Gabriele Galati & Philip D. Wooldridge, 2006. "The euro as a reserve currency: a challenge to the pre-eminence of the US dollar?," BIS Working Papers 218, Bank for International Settlements.
- Bley, Jorg, 2009. "European stock market integration: Fact or fiction?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 759-776, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.