Long-Term Real Interest Rates: Evidence on the Global Capital Market
AbstractThe steady removal of capital controls, and the consequent increase in international capital flows has led to a growing belief that there is now one global capital market with a single world real interest rate at its core. We review the evidence on international real interest rate behaviour using alternative measures of real interest rates, including those obtained from the growing set of inflation-adjusted government bonds. Using a range of statistical tests we find that it is hard to argue that real interest rates are converging to single world rate--though international factors are important. Moreover, the large and persistent differences in real interest rates across countries cannot be explained in terms of real exchange-rate expectations. Macroeconomic indicators from the countries concerned appear to play some role in accounting for these differences. Copyright 1999 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 15 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jérôme Creel & Bruno Ducoudré & Catherine Mathieu & Henri Sterdyniak, 2005.
"Doit-on oublier la politique budgétaire ?. Une analyse critique de la nouvelle théorie anti-keynésienne des finances publiques,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 92(1), pages 43-97.
- Catherine Mathieu & Jérôme Creel & Henri Sterdyniak & Bruno Ducoudre, 2005. "Doit-on oublier la politique budgétaire? Une analyse critique de la nouvelle théorie anti-keynésienne des finances publiques," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/1769, Sciences Po.
- Luigi Bonatti & Annalisa Cristini, 2007.
"Breaking the stability pact: was it predictable?,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
0714, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi, 2011.
"Fiscal Spillovers in the Euro Area,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3693, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bruno Ducoudré, 2005. "Fiscal policy and interest rates," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2005-08, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Stefano Schiavo, 2005.
"Euro bonds: in search of financial spillovers,"
Sciences Po publications
2, Sciences Po.
- Joseph P. Byrne & Giorgio Fazio & Norbert Fiess, 2010.
"Interest Rate Co-movements, Global Factors and the Long End of the Term Spread,"
2010_10, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Byrne, Joseph P. & Fazio, Giorgio & Fiess, Norbert, 2012. "Interest rate co-movements, global factors and the long end of the term spread," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 183-192.
- Byrne, Joseph P. & Fazio, Giorgio & Fiess, Norbert, 2010. "Interest Rate Co-movements, Global Factors and the Long End of the Term Spread," SIRE Discussion Papers 2010-24, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Steven B. Kamin, 2010. "Financial globalization and monetary policy," International Finance Discussion Papers 1002, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brigitte Desroches & Michael Francis, 2007.
"World Real Interest Rates: A Global Savings and Investment Perspective,"
07-16, Bank of Canada.
- Brigitte Desroches & Michael Francis, 2010. "World real interest rates: a global savings and investment perspective," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 42(22), pages 2801-2816.
- Chinn, Menzie & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 2003.
"The Euro Area and World Interest Rates,"
Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt9823140f, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Chinn, Menzie David & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 2003. "The Euro Area and World Interest Rates," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt2nb2h4zr, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Chinn, Menzie & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 2003. "The Euro Area and World Interest Rates," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt9823140f, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Bandholz, Harm & Clostermann, Joerg & Seitz, Franz, 2007.
"Explaining the US Bond Yield Conundrum,"
2386, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Claeys, Peter & Moreno, Rosina & Suriñach, Jordi, 2012. "Debt, interest rates, and integration of financial markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 48-59.
- Peter Claeys & Rosina Moreno & Jordi Suriñach, 2008. "Fiscal policy and interest rates: the role of financial and economic integration," IREA Working Papers 200810, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Sep 2008.
- Abhisek Banerjee & Manmohan Singh, 2006. "Testing Real Interest Parity in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 06/249, International Monetary Fund.
- Christian Upper & Andreas Worms, 2003. "Real long-term interest rates and monetary policy: a cross-country perspective," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Monetary policy in a changing environment, volume 19, pages 234-257 Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.