Competition in Telecommunications
AbstractThis paper discusses the scope for competition in the telecommunications industry, taking into account the features of natural monopoly, network externalities, and customer inertia. Recent policy towards competition in the industry in the UK is surveyed, with an emphasis on access pricing and interconnection. Finally, recent theoretical developments in the economics of access pricing and interconnection are discussed and shown to lend some support for aspects of current policy in the UK. Copyright 1997 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 13 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Heide Coenen, 2000. "Network Effects in Telecommunications: When Entrants are Welcome," Discussion Papers 241, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Fraquelli, Giovanni & Vannoni, Davide, 2000. "Multidimensional performance in telecommunications, regulation and competition: analysing the European major players," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 27-46, March.
- Valletti, Tommaso M., 1999.
"The practice of access pricing: telecommunications in the United Kingdom,"
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 83-98, June.
- Valletti, Tommasso M., 1999. "The practice of access pricing : telecommunications in the United Kingdom," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2063, The World Bank.
- Takanori Ida, 2005. "Analysis of Internet topology with a three-level components model," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(8), pages 527-534.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2007.
"Interlinking securities settlement systems: A strategic commitment?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 2962-2977, October.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2003. "Interlinking securities settlement systems: A strategic commitment?," Research Discussion Papers 26/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2005. "Interlinking securities settlement systems: a strategic commitment?," Working Paper Series 0427, European Central Bank.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2006. "Access and Interconnection Pricing Issues in Telecommunications," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 4(3), pages 3-9, October.
- Carlo Cambini, 2000. "Competition between Vertically Integrated Networks: a Generalized Model," ICER Working Papers 01-2000, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Kaisa Kotakorpi, 2002. "Access Pricing and Competition in Telecommunications," Discussion Papers 283, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Armstrong, Mark, 1997. "Mobile telephony in the UK," MPRA Paper 35405, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wallsten, Scott J., 1999. "An empirical analysis ofcompetition, privatization, and regulation in telecommunications markets in Africa and Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2136, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.