A Short History of Labour Turnover, Job Tenure, and Job Security, 1975-93
AbstractHow extensive is labour turnover and how does it vary by gender, skill and over time? Using survey data from Britain between 1975 and 1993, this study documents these features and discovers evidence of widening inequalities in job stability and security. For the majority still in full-time employment, average job durations are little changed from those of twenty years ago. For those seeking employment, however, current patterns of job creation mean that entry jobs are now of shorter duration, more unstable, and relatively less well paid. Nor do entry jobs offer sufficient access into stable jobs. As a result, entry jobs are increasingly taken by those with a partner in work, polarising the distribution of employment and thereby disenfranchising around one-fifth of working-age households from regular access to earned incomes. Copyright 1995 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 11 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simon Burgess, 1999. "The Reallocation of Labour: An International Comparison Using Job Tenure," CEP Discussion Papers dp0416, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Miikka Rokkanen & Roope Uusitalo, 2013.
"Changes in Job Stability – Evidence from Lifetime Job Histories,"
Finnish Economic Papers,
Finnish Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 36-55, Autumn.
- Rokkanen, Miikka & Uusitalo, Roope, 2010. "Changes in Job Stability: Evidence from Lifetime Job Histories," IZA Discussion Papers 4721, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Miikka Rokkanen & Roope Uusitalo, 2010. "Changes in job stability - evidence from lifetime job histories," Working Papers 14, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Armando Barrientos, 1998. "Supplementary pension coverage in Britain," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 19(4), pages 429-446, November.
- Bergemann, Annette & Mertens, Antje, 2004.
"Job Stability Trends, Layoffs, and Transitions to Unemployment: An Empirical Analysis for West Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1368, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bergemann, Annette & Mertens, Antje, 2004. "Job Stability Trends, Layoffs and Transitions to Unemployment - An Empirical Analysis for West Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 4792, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael W. L. Elsby & Jennifer C. Smith & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2011.
"The role of worker flows in the dynamics and distribution of UK unemployment,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 338-363.
- Elsby, Michael W.L. & Smith, Jennifer C. & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 2011. "The role of worker flows in the dynamics and distribution of UK unemployment," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 962, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Elsby, Michael & Smith, Jennifer C. & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 2011. "The Role of Worker Flows in the Dynamics and Distribution of UK Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 5784, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael W. L. Elsby & Jennifer C. Smith & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2011. "The Role of Worker Flows in the Dynamics and Distribution of UK Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp1058, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ono, Hiroshi, 2010.
"Lifetime employment in Japan: Concepts and measurements,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Ono, Hiroshi, 2006. "Lifetime Employment in Japan: Concepts and Measurements," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 624, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 06 Apr 2007.
- Sue Fernie & David Metcalf, 1998. "(Not)Hanging on the Telephone: Payment systems in the New Sweatshops," CEP Discussion Papers dp0390, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Sandra Silva & Jorge Valente & Aurora Teixeira, 2012.
"An evolutionary model of industry dynamics and firms’ institutional behavior with job search, bargaining and matching,"
Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination,
Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 23-61, May.
- Sandra T. Silva & Jorge M. S. Valente & Aurora A. C. Teixeira, 2007. "An evolutionary model of industry dynamics and firms' institutional behavior with job search, bargaining and matching," FEP Working Papers 241, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Aline Valette, 2004. "Labour Market Segmentation : a Comparison between France and the UK From the Eighties to nowadays," Post-Print halshs-00082338, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.