The Banking System, Financial Markets, and Capital Structure: Some New Evidence from France
AbstractThis paper presents some new evidence on the hypothesis that financial liberalization will lead to a convergence in the structure of financial systems and firms' capital structure towards market-based systems. The paper focuses on the interesting case of France, where major reforms have liberalized financial markets and the banking system and significantly widened the choice of markets and contracts for firms' financing. The paper does show that the reforms have been paralleled by a shift of firms' funding towards the pattern of market-based systems, but it also argues that this is only a partial picture. Mirroring past and recent theories of capital structure which have concentrated only on financial markets as the provider of funds, this would disregard the role of intermediaries and overlook the fact that French banks are still the core of the French financial economy. Copyright 1994 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 10 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Franklin Allen & Anthony M. Santomero, 1999.
"What Do Financial Intermediaries Do?,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
99-30, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Schmidt, Reinhard H. & Hackethal, Andreas & Tyrell, Marcel, 1999. "Disintermediation and the Role of Banks in Europe: An International Comparison," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 8(1-2), pages 36-67, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.