Banking: A Survey of Recent Microeconomic Theory
AbstractThis paper surveys the recent developments in information economics in so far as they relate to banking and financial intermediation. Attention is restricted to microeconomic issues. Banks are seen as institutions that, by gathering and processing information, can reduce transaction costs and induce more efficient allocations. Separate sections of the paper deal with the bank/borrower relation, the bank/lender relation, competition between banks, and the comparison between bank finance and market finance. The paper concludes by discussing the implications of the recent theory for the regulation of the banking sector. Copyright 1994 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 10 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2002.
"Bank-Firm Relationships and International Banking Markets,"
International Journal of the Economics of Business,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 401-417.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2002. "Bank-firm relationships and international banking markets," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-92220, Tilburg University.
- S. Usai & M. Vannini, 2004.
"Banking structure and Regional Economic Growth: lessons from Italy,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200417, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Stefano Usai & Marco Vannini, 2005. "Banking structure and regional economic growth: lessons from Italy," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 691-714, December.
- Mannonen, Pekka, 2002. "The Strategic Response of Banks to an Exogenous Positive Information Shock in the Credit Markets," Discussion Papers 830, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Mannonen, Pekka, 2001. "Advancing information technology and financial intermediation," Discussion Papers 770, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Korting, Timm, 1998. "Lending relationships in Germany - Empirical evidence from survey data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1317-1353, October.
- Niinimaki, J. -P., 2001. "Intertemporal diversification in financial intermediation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 965-991, May.
- Markus Pasche, 2010. "Interbank Lending and the Demand for Central Bank Loans - a Simple Microfoundation," Jena Economic Research Papers 2010-070, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- PICARD, Pierre & RUSLI, Ridwan D., 2012.
"State owned firms: private debt, cost revelation and welfare,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2012047, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jos van Bommel & Jose Penalva, 2012. "The Governance of Perpetual Financial Intermediaries," CREA Discussion Paper Series 12-10, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Ghosh, Saibal & Sensarma, Rudra, 2004. "Does monetary policy matter for corporate governance? Firm-level evidence for India," MPRA Paper 19756, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mauricio Avella Gómez, 2007. "El Encaje Bancario en Colombia Perspectiva General," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 004327, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni, 2001. "Asymmetric information and the structure of the banking industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1957-1980, December.
- Elena Zoido, 1998. "Un estudio de las participaciones accionariales de los bancos en las empresas españolas," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 22(3), pages 427-467, September.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2001. "Financial Stability and Public Policy: An Overview," MPRA Paper 19757, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mauricio Avella Gómez, . "El encaje bancario en Colombia Perspectiva general," Borradores de Economia 470, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.