The impact of the euro on firm export behaviour: does firm size matter?
AbstractThe goal of this paper is to assess the impact of the euro on the relationship between firm size and exports. We employ previous new-new trade theory models to derive some hypotheses that are tested using a representative sample of Spanish manufacturing firms. The results indicate that the introduction of the euro has remarkably weakened the role of firm size in the decision to export to the Eurozone. What is more, the change in the proportion of exports to the Eurozone is negatively related to firm size. Our results suggest that the euro has reduced the threshold size in order to export to Eurozone countries. Copyright 2011 Oxford University Press 2010 All rights reserved, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 63 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Beer, 2011. "Literature Review on the Economic Effects of the Euro on Austria," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 22â34.
- Campbell, Douglas L., 2011.
"Estimating the impact of currency unions on trade using a dynamic gravity framework,"
35531, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Douglas Campbell, 2012. "Estimating the Impact of Currency Unions on Trade Using a Dynamic Gravity Framework," Working Papers, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics 121, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Campbell, Douglas L., 2012. "Estimating the Impact of Currency Unions on Trade Using a Dynamic Gravity Framework," MPRA Paper 37091, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthieu Bussière & Jarko Fidrmuc & Bernd Schnatz, 2008. "EU Enlargement and Trade Integration: Lessons from a Gravity Model," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 562-576, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.