Unemployment duration and unemployment insurance: a comparative analysis based on Scandinavian micro data
AbstractBased on pooled register data from Norway and Sweden, we find that differences in unemployment duration patterns reflect dissimilarities in unemployment insurance (UI) systems in a way that convincingly establishes the link between economic incentives and job search behaviour. Specifically, UI benefits are relatively more generous for low-income workers in Sweden than in Norway, leading to relatively longer unemployment spells for low-income workers in Sweden. Based on the between-countries variation in replacement ratios, we find that the elasticity of the outflow rate from insured unemployment with respect to the replacement ratio is approximately one in Norway and 0.5 in Sweden. Copyright 2008 , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 60 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Holmlund, Bertil, 2013. "What Do Labor Market Institutions Do?," IZA Discussion Papers 7809, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Røed, Knut & Westlie, Lars, 2007.
"Unemployment Insurance in Welfare States: Soft Constraints and Mild Sanctions,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2877, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Røed, Knut & Westlie, Lars, 2007. "Unemployment Insurance in Welfare States: Soft Constraints and Mild Sanctions," Memorandum 13/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Røed, Knut, 2012. "Active Unemployment Insurance," IZA Policy Papers 41, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fevang, Elisabeth & Hardoy, Inés & Røed, Knut, 2013. "Getting Disabled Workers Back to Work: How Important Are Economic Incentives?," IZA Discussion Papers 7137, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bertil Holmlund, 2014. "What Do Labor Market Institutions Do?," CESifo Working Paper Series 4582, CESifo Group Munich.
- Holmlund, Bertil, 2013.
"What do labor market institutions do?,"
Working Paper Series, Center for Labor Studies
2013:14, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.