Cost-push shocks and monetary policy in open economies
AbstractThis paper analyses the implications of cost-push shocks for the optimal choice of monetary policy target in a two-country sticky-price model. In addition to cost-push shocks, each country is subject to labour-supply and money-demand shocks. It is shown that the fully optimal coordinated policy can be supported by independent national monetary authorities following a policy of flexible inflation targeting. A number of simple (but non-optimal) targeting rules are compared. Strict producer-price targeting is found to be the best simple rule when the variance of cost-push shocks is small. Strict consumer-price targeting is best for intermediate levels of the variance of cost-push shocks. And nominal-income targeting is best when the variance of cost-push shocks is high. In general, money-supply targeting and fixed nominal exchange rates are found to yield less welfare than these other regimes. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 57 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gianluca Benigno & Pierpaolo Benigno, 2004. "Designing Target Rules for International Monetary Policy Cooperation," CEP Discussion Papers dp0666, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2006.
"Designing targeting rules for international monetary policy cooperation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 473-506, April.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2003. "Designing targeting rules for international monetary policy cooperation," Working Paper Series 0279, European Central Bank.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2008.
"Implementing International Monetary Cooperation Through Inflation Targeting,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(S1), pages 45-59, April.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2008. "Implementing international monetary cooperation through inflation targeting," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Wolfram Berger & Helmut Wagner, 2006.
"International Policy Coordination and Simple Monetary Policy Rules,"
IMF Working Papers
06/164, International Monetary Fund.
- Wolfram Berger, 2010. "International Policy Coordination and Simple Monetary Policy Rules," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 146(II), pages 451-479, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.