Contrasting income shocks with asset shocks: livestock sales in northern Kenya
AbstractThe literature on risk management in agrarian economies has predominantly focused on the use of assets to buffer consumption against income shocks. However, households in certain low-income, high-risk environments confront asset as well as income shocks. This study investigates livestock sales behavior in an environment where both income and asset shocks occur. The nature of each type of shock is analyzed, and their respective impact on sales behavior is identified. Results indicate income and asset shocks are positively correlated, but influence sales in an offsetting fashion. This provides a possible explanation for the limited empirical support found by previous studies investigating the role of livestock sales in buffering consumption. Marketing and savings institutions that reduce vulnerability to asset shocks in addition to income shocks offer the potential to reduce household risk exposure. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 56 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chiu, Leslie J. Verteramo, 2013. "Risk Rationing and Jump Utility," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150589, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Marijke Verpoorten, 2007.
"Household Coping in war- and peacetime: cattle sales in Rwanda, 1991-2001,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
18907, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Verpoorten, Marijke, 2009. "Household coping in war- and peacetime: Cattle sales in Rwanda, 1991-2001," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 67-86, January.
- Marijke Verpoorten, 2007. "Household coping in war- and peacetime: cattle sales in Rwanda, 1991-2001," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0727, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Carter, Michael R. & Little, Peter D. & Mogues, Tewodaj & Negatu, Workneh, 2007. "Poverty Traps and Natural Disasters in Ethiopia and Honduras," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 835-856, May.
- Mude, Andrew G. & Barrett, Christopher B. & McPeak, John G. & Kaitho, Robert & Kristjanson, Patti, 2009. "Empirical forecasting of slow-onset disasters for improved emergency response: An application to Kenya's arid north," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 329-339, August.
- Delpierre, Matthieu & Verheyden, Bertrand & Weynants, Stephanie, 2012.
"On the interaction between risk-taking and risk-sharing under farm household wealth heterogeneity,"
123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland
122556, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- DELPIERRE Matthieu & VERHEYDEN Bertrand & WEYNANTS Stéphanie, 2011. "On the interaction between risk-taking and risk-sharing under farm household wealth heterogeneity," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2011-35, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 2008. "Smallholder market participation: Concepts and evidence from eastern and southern Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 299-317, August.
- Lybbert, Travis J. & McPeak, John, 2012. "Risk and intertemporal substitution: Livestock portfolios and off-take among Kenyan pastoralists," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 415-426.
- McPeak, John, 2006. "Confronting the risk of asset loss: What role do livestock transfers in northern Kenya play?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 415-437, December.
- Santos, Paulo & Barrett, Christopher B., 2006. "Informal Insurance in the Presence of Poverty Traps: Evidence from Southern Ethiopia," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25487, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jin, Ling & Chen, Kevin Z. & Yu, Bingxin & Huang, Zuhui, 2011. "How prudent are rural households in developing transition economies:," IFPRI discussion papers 1127, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- John McPeak & Sommarat Chantarat & Andrew Mude, 2010. "Explaining index-based livestock insurance to pastoralists," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 70(3), pages 333-352, November.
- Andersson, Camilla & Mekonnen, Alemu & Stage, Jesper, 2011.
"Impacts of the Productive Safety Net Program in Ethiopia on livestock and tree holdings of rural households,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 119-126, January.
- Andersson, Camilla & Mekonnen, Alemu & Stage, Jesper, 2009. "Impacts of the Productive Safety Net Program in Ethiopia on Livestock and Tree Holdings of Rural Households," Discussion Papers dp-09-05-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Campbell, Bruce M. & Gordon, Iain J. & Luckert, Martin K. & Petheram, Lisa & Vetter, Susanne, 2006. "In search of optimal stocking regimes in semi-arid grazing lands: One size does not fit all," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 75-85, November.
- Gabriella Berloffa & Francesca Modena, 2009.
"Income Shocks, Coping Strategies, and Consumption Smoothing. An Application to Indonesian Data,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
0901, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Berloffa, Gabriella & Modena, Francesca, 2013. "Income shocks, coping strategies, and consumption smoothing: An application to Indonesian data," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 158-171.
- Santos, Paulo & Barrett, Christopher B., 2011. "Persistent poverty and informal credit," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 337-347, November.
- Ruhangawebare, Godfrey Kalemera, 2010. "Factors Affecting The Level Of Commercialization Among Cattle Keepers In The Pastoral Areas Of Uganda," Research Theses 117797, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Carter, Michael R. & Lybbert, Travis J., 2012. "Consumption versus asset smoothing: testing the implications of poverty trap theory in Burkina Faso," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 255-264.
- Jakobsen, Kristian Thor, 2012. "In the Eye of the Storm—The Welfare Impacts of a Hurricane," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(12), pages 2578-2589.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.