A Kuznets curve analysis of ozone-depleting substances and the impact of the Montreal Protocol
AbstractThis paper examines the relationship between countries' propensity to emit chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and income per capita. The main part of the analysis uses dynamic estimation methods on a panel of CFC production. In contrast to static analyses, we find statistically significant quadratic relationship between income and CFC production, with a critical income level in the Kuznets curve of $16,050. This reinforces the trend observed in other papers that global pollutants have higher critical income levels than local or urban pollutants. In addition, it suggests that, in the absence of any international agreement, CFC production in the poorest countries would ensure that there is a substantial rise in global production over the next 50 years. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 55 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Caviglia-Harris, Jill L. & Chambers, Dustin & Kahn, James R., 2009. "Taking the "U" out of Kuznets: A comprehensive analysis of the EKC and environmental degradation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(4), pages 1149-1159, February.
- Michel, David, 2009. "Foxes, hedgehogs, and greenhouse governance: Knowledge, uncertainty, and international policy-making in a warming World," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 258-264, February.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:17:y:2007:i:7:p:1-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gairuzazmi Ghani, 2007. "The Montreal Protocol: Developing Countries Import of Halons," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 17(7), pages 1-5.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.