European Monetary Union and Asymmetric Shocks in a New Keynesian Model
AbstractThis paper attempts to quantify the costs imposed by asymmetric shocks under European Monetary Union compared to free floating. A simple two-country model is examined where policy is set in an optimal, time consistent manner. Nominal and real rigidities are present in both economies, but prices are set in a forward looking manner and expectations are rational. Results suggest that the costs of asymmetric shocks under EMU may be significantly higher than under free floating, particularly if fiscal policy is not used for demand management. Copyright 1999 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 51 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carmen Díaz-Roldán, 2000.
"Coordination Of Fiscal Policies In A Monetary Union,"
00-09, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Carmen Díaz Roldán, 2000. "Coordination of fiscal policies in a monetary union," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 0003, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Carmen Díaz-Roldán, . "Coordination of Fiscal Policies in a Monetary Union," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 00-09, FEDEA.
- Óscar Bajo Rubio & Carmen Díaz Roldán, 2000. "On The Insurance Function Of Fiscal Policy In A Monetary Union," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 0012, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Tatiana Kirsanova & Mathan Satchi & David Vines & Simon Wren-Lewis, 2006.
"Optimal Fiscal Policy Rules in a Monetary Union,"
0611, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Kirsanova, Tatiana & Satchi, Mathan & Vines, David & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 2006. "Optimal Fiscal Policy Rules in a Monetary Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 5533, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tatiana Kirsanova & David Vines & Mathan Satchi & Simon Wren-Lewis, 2005. "Optimal Fiscal Policy Rules in a Monetary Union," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 40, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.