Costs of Separating Budgetary Policy from Control of Inflation: A Neglected Aspect of Central Bank Independence
AbstractThe authors investigate the importance of coordinating monetary and fiscal policy in a fully dynamic model. The monetary authority seeks to control inflation while the fiscal authority has a budgetary target. They investigate the resulting Nash equilibrium and the consequences of a period of learning which may arise if each authority is not ex ante sure of the responses of the other. Both of these impact considerably on the outcome and indicate that there may be considerable costs to separating monetary and fiscal policy. Copyright 1998 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 50 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jan Libich & Dat Thanh Nguyen & Petr Stehlík, 2011. "Monetary Exit Strategy and Fiscal Spillovers," CAMA Working Papers 2011-04, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Jérôme Creel, 2001.
"Faut-il contraindre la politique budgétaire en Union monétaire ?. Les enseignements d'une maquette simulée,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 77(2), pages 199-249.
- Jérôme Creel, 2001. "Faut-il contraindre la politique budgétaire en union monétaire ? Les enseignements d’une maquette simulée," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2943, Sciences Po.
- Hossein Samiei & Jan Kees Martijn, 1999. "Central Bank Independence and the Conduct of Monetary Policy in the United Kingdom," IMF Working Papers 99/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Kirsanova, Tatiana & Stehn, Sven Jari & Vines, David, 2006.
"Five-Equation Macroeconomics: A Simple View of the Interactions Between Fiscal Policy and Monetary Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5464, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tatiana Kirsanova & Sven Jari Stehn & David Vines, 2006. "Five-Equation Macroeconomics A Simple View of the Interactions Between Fiscal Policy and Monetary Policy," Discussion Papers 0610, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Creel, Jérôme, 2001.
"Strategic Interactions between Monetary and fiscal Policies : a case study for the European Stability Pact,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/3413, Paris Dauphine University.
- Jérôme Creel, 2002. "Strategic interactions between monetary and fiscal policies: a case study for the European Stability Pact," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/3221, Sciences Po.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.